Advice needed on babycorn, cucumber & sweet peppers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed on babycorn, cucumber & sweet peppers

Basically, I can't find the information online that I am looking for regarding the conditions babycorn, cucumber & sweet peppers require.

What size pots do they all need?

Can babycorn be planted in my raised bed (I did read that snobaby does well planted really close together for polination)?

Does cucumber do well outside or in a greenhouse?

I have so many questions but these will do for now
    Choccy

My favourite animal is steak...

Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.

Don't grow corn so can't help on that one. Cumbers and sweet peppers will be OK in a black flower bucket.

As to whether your cumber will do OK outdoors that will depend on the variety.

Colin
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Thank you Colin

I don't know how big sweet peppers (California Wonder) grow but if they have to go in buckets then they must be quite substantial when mature.

The cucumber is Socrates and is best grown in the greenhouse as I've just found out. I'm running out of room in there already! Yikes!

I best go get some buckets in the following weeks then.
      Choccy

My favourite animal is steak...

Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.

Comment

I've not grown baby corn- but I think it should be OK in the raised bed- I just grew my sweetcorn out in a bed, and it was fine. Anyone feel free to correct this, but I think you don't *want* baby corn to get pollinated though, so the growing it in a block isn't really necessary- that's for if you want it to grow into big, proper corn-on-the-cob type. I know you can grow plants for baby type closer together than full size though.
        My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

For baby corn are you supposed to cut off the male flower head once it appears? I'm growing baby corn alongside my squash this year

Comment

Baby corn grows quite high, up to 5/6 ft, so be careful not to plant it where it might shade out other plants, though you can use it to benefit other plants i.e french beans (cliimb up it) and squash, (beneath it). it can just be put in rows too rather than blocks.
            passionate about plants

http://escapetotheallotment.blogspot.co.uk/ Check out my new blog...

There is no greater satisfaction than is gained from a plate of your own home grown !

Comment

Originally posted by Chocolate8me View Post
              I don't know how big sweet peppers (California Wonder) grow but if they have to go in buckets then they must be quite substantial when mature.
              A pepper plant like that will grow around a metre I think (3 - 4'), maybe more. I grow similar ones in my window using 18cm pots (7").

Comment

MCUK is coreect about the size just over a metre high by about .5 metre wide in a good year. You will need to support it with a cane and as it is a hungry plant feed it with tom food.

Colin
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X