X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shallots

Hi am i to late to plant shallots should i wait until the spring Thank you
    Welcome take a seat Tea anyone

if only we had a crystal ball to let us know if we are to have more unseasonably warm weather to come. We have a frost this morning and I personally would be inclined to either wait, or, as an alternative, plant them up in 4 inch pots of good quality compost in a greenhouse or cold frame and plant them into the ground later.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
      plant them up in 4 inch pots of good quality compost in a greenhouse or cold frame and plant them into the ground later.
      I might have to give this a try. (spare room is my green house hehe, it has big south facing windows, and keeps pretty warm, still got jalapeños flowering in there.)
      Chilli Grower
      mmmmmm Spicy Chilli.....
      +----------------------------------+
      | Blog: http://www.dg83.com/blog/|
      +----------------------------------+

Comment

I found a shallot on the floor of my greenhouse - roots, and greenshoots all extending out of it. No idea how it got there, as I've not planted any shallots this year?

Comment

Just one? That's shallot!

Comment

badumtish!

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
              badumtish!
              Glad you like it!

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                if only we had a crystal ball to let us know if we are to have more unseasonably warm weather to come. We have a frost this morning and I personally would be inclined to either wait, or, as an alternative, plant them up in 4 inch pots of good quality compost in a greenhouse or cold frame and plant them into the ground later.
                ok will do the 4" pots to be on the safe side thanks
                Welcome take a seat Tea anyone

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                  I found a shallot on the floor of my greenhouse - roots, and greenshoots all extending out of it. No idea how it got there, as I've not planted any shallots this year?
                  Same here, except mine was an onion! went out to collect leaves for my leaf mould and there it was on the concrete at the back of my garden, sprouting away

Comment

I will be putting in a row or two in the early part of spring.
                    "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

As will I for the kitchen Vegnut but my exhibition Shallots will be started off in pots shortly after Christmas. (Is it ok to mention Christmas now?) I would have started them already and indeed should have started some of as an experiment. They have been rotting in storage and I don't know whether they will run to seed if started off early. If they don't run to seed if started early, I may well start them all off earlier in future.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X