Moving Currants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Currants

I've got 4 currant bushes which are a bit close together and really need moving. When is the best time to move them? I would have thought over the winter but would appreciate some advice.

Thanks
    View my blog at: http://alansallotment.blogspot.com/

Or follow me on Twitter @Alansallotment

You're thinking correctly. As soon as the leaves have dropped should be a good time. Dig them up with as much root as possible and get them straight into their new homes.

Comment

Totally agree with that. I would only add that you should maybe avoid frosty weather when moving the bushes.

Comment

Thanks guys!
        View my blog at: http://alansallotment.blogspot.com/

Or follow me on Twitter @Alansallotment

Comment

I have a similarish question...can I join in? My 1 blackcurrant, 1 meant-to-be-redcurrant-but-weirdly-is-pinkcurrant and 1 goosegog have all been pretty pathetic (all 2 yrs old) so far, and I'm wonderng if I should dig them up and either put them in my sunny bed, which means sacrificing most of my vegetable space, or put them in pots...or do I just need to give them more manure and be patient? their bed isn't very sunny if we're honest, though also not exposed
          ANNNNND would also love yr views re: if I shd also/therefore dig up my summer rasp canes from the SUNNY bed (still with me?) and move them to the rubbish currant bed, as they don't need as much sun...
          thoughts? views? gentle encouragement? (shady/rustylady am looking at you..) - please advise me grapies, I need to achieve closure on this traumatic situation.

Comment

^

Yep, currants in sunny spot, raspberries can take more shade
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'd second that. My autumn rasps are along a border and shaded by a fence and various trees. This year the crop has been amazing and I'm still picking them. Blackcurrants need as much sun as you can give them.

Comment

No fruit on my autumn raspberry canes this year - what's your secret?
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

When lifting, give them a good prune too so they are ready to go in the spring with no further checks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X