Calabrese

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calabrese

I am trying to grow calabrese (like big cauliflowers but green). I have lots of leaves and they look big and healthy but no heads coming. Is it a bit early or should I just wait a bit and be patient?
    Slowly takes it!

Are you sure it is calabrese you have planted? When did you sow and when did you plant out. Calabrese is also known by some as broccoli and there is a tendency to confuse with some of the sprouting brands which do not crop until the following year.

Comment

According to the seed packet and Jamie Oliver it was!

Maybe I should just wait and see
      Slowly takes it!

Comment

As AP said, its a bit early for calabrese to be heading. Have you had them in the ground for long?

Comment

Can remember quite, but planted at the specifield time on the seed packet, prob around June or maybe a bit before
          Slowly takes it!

Comment

If in doubt, wait.
            There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

There maybe a mix up here.

Standard calabrese should be planted April/May for harvest before the onset of winter. Green Comet for instance will be ready in August.

Most purple sprouting broccoli but not all you would begin to harvest about January.

Then we have a perennial variety which is a tall variety give small heads year upon year.

Finally we have one sometimes called winter cauliflower that gives one large white head in winter/spring this could be what you have.

Colin
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Calabrese is a summer crop isn't it? So June would be a bit late for planting seed (or do you mean you planted a plant?) *puzzled*

how to grow calabrese
                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 20-10-2011, 03:42 PM.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  Calabrese is a summer crop isn't it? So June would be a bit late for planting seed (or do you mean you planted a plant?) *puzzled*
                  It depends on the variety. I don't want mine in summer proper and want an autumn crop. I sowed Marathon on 8 June, planted out 12 July and have been harvesting recently. It usually stands a bit of cold but not proper frosts so will be picking the last of it at the weekend.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    It depends on the variety.
                    I guess so.

I've never grown it ~ it takes up a lot of space and is only about 50p in the shops
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

2Sheds I did say standard calabrese there are other varieties. I grow one called Green Magic, this has the habit of throwing out smaller heads (like toms armpits) after you have cut the first large one. I cram 18 plants into 2 square metres and get the equivalant of 36 heads.

Colin
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

If its proper summer/autumn maturing calabrese and not brocolli you haven't got much longer before frosts could harm it.
                        If the land aint needed for another crop its a case of waiting and hoping.
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          I guess so.

I've never grown it ~ it takes up a lot of space and is only about 50p in the shops
                          Very True, But as with most things,I personally think the taste of Freshly harvested Calabrese is well worth the effort
                          "... discipline is what the world needs today and etiquette, you know. For one of the noblest things a man can do is to do the best he can, yeah ..."

Prince Far I (1944-1983)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X