Making Basil More Bushy?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Basil More Bushy?

Ive heard you can make basil more bushy instead of tall can someone tell me how to do this please

Pinch the growing tips of each stalk out - that'll encourage more side shoots, hence the bushier plants

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
      Pinch the growing tips of each stalk out - that'll encourage more side shoots, hence the bushier plants
      ... and use the bits you pinch off in the kitchen

Comment

yep, you do the pinching out unintentionally really, as you use the basil in the kitchen
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I always think of plants as like people and creatures. Show them a modicum of respect and you will find they respond so a careful water here and there, removal of dead leaves, etc. Care, you know what I mean, I'm sure
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Keep them away from the Dog, too.
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I'm going to have to get my ruler out and start smacking backs of hands soon!

Comment

If you don't use the pinched out tips of basil, put them in a basin of water and they will soon root. You can then pot the rooted cuttings up, pinching out the new growth and rooting as before.

If you don't grow basil from seed yourself, you only need to buy one pot from a supermarket. Take the tips out to make the plant bushier. When the pinched out tips have rooted you can pot them up, and take out the tips to root for more plants.

valmarg

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
                  If you don't grow basil from seed yourself, you only need to buy one pot from a supermarket.
                  This is very good for all sorts of herbs that you can buy in a pot. Just be careful to divide the many plants of you often get as they are too crowded to be happy long term. I usually do that with parsley, because I find that difficult to get right from seed.
                  https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                    Last edited by JamieSmith; 06-10-2011, 06:27 AM. Reason: correcting spelling

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X