Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brussel Sprout Plant and Pak Choi, Help Please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brussel Sprout Plant and Pak Choi, Help Please!

Hi fellow garden lovers, this is my first post but I've been browsing the forum for months now, and have found it so helpful! This has been my first year and I've done rather well (except loosing 25 tomato plant because of blight, a very sad day )

But I need a little help regarding my Brussel Sprout plant, it's been eaten to bit and i've found a few caterpillars lurking around which I took up the other end of the garden, lots of little white flea things under the leaves, and a few tiny worm like creatures under a few of leaves, will the sprouts be affected? Or can I save it?

Also, my Pak Choi had also been munched on lots, and a few of them have gone to flower, what can I do?

Looking forward to any help, I'd appreciate it so much!
    Many thanks,
    Jo

Hi, I have also notice white fly type things on my sprouts and have no idea what they are so would also welcome advice. I don't have many caterpillars, I learned my lesson from last year, my first year. I didn't realise how much damage they can do and they ate their way though numerous cabbages, caulis etc, so this year I removed as many eggs as I could. The dreaded slugs still cause damage tho!

Comment

The white fly things are precisely that - Cabbage whitefly Cabbage whitefly / Royal Horticultural Society

The tiny worm-like creatures under the leaves would I think be baby caterpillars - need squishing asap.

Jo, if the Pak Choi has flowered then it has had it. Pull it up and compost it.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pink Garden Girl View Post
        i've found a few caterpillars lurking around which I took up the other end of the garden
        Jo, I'm not sure why you'd do that unless it's because you're a bit squeamish about killing them? They won't survive on any plants other than your brassicas, so they'll starve where you've put them ... unless they manage to wriggle back to your brassicas. Birds won't eat them.
        You'll soon enjoy squishing the caterpillars once you realise the damage they do to your crops
        Those tiny worms you found are just baby caterpillars: they grow really fast though

Pak choi: favourite food of slugs. There'll be tiny wee baby ones snuggled up inside the leaves
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Welcome to the world of grow your own LP garden girl. As you've discovered, it's a fight to the death between you and all the nasties that want to eat your precious veggies.

Not a lot you can do now that the damage has been done but I'd invest in some fine mesh netting to cover your brassicas next year.

As for pak choi, I've tried and tried and tried again to grow it but it always runs to seed.

Comment

The best advice is above ^ but I can understand if you feel abit squeamish about squashing them. Best tip - use rubber gloves!!
            Start again with the pak choi, maybe use some netting?

Good luck and welcome to the vine

Comment

Nothing to add to the very good advice above, so just to say "Welcome to the Vine and happy growing" to you both.
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by solway cropper View Post
                As for pak choi, I've tried and tried and tried again to grow it but it always runs to seed.
                Have you tried sowing it in Sept? That's the only way it works for me
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  Have you tried sowing it in Sept? That's the only way it works for me
                  thats it,spot on..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X