Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripening pears

Hi there
    Sorry if there is info already in here but I can't seem to find it.

I have a tree full of full sized pears and was wondering how to ripen them? I understand they don't ripen on the tree but I have had a few in my window sill at home to as a test run but the have gone wrinkly before ripening, so I take it this is not the way to ripen them?

Man thanks

Someone posted on here a bit ago about pear ripening, (no I can't find it either) basically saying that they tended to rot before ripening unless helped along. I think it was the old paper bag and banana method or you could put them in the fruit bowl.
    Last edited by Shadylane; 16-09-2011, 11:34 PM.

Comment

You don't mention the variety, nor its age.
      Fruit from young trees can often be poor quality, while from old trees it can be small, biennial or smaller crops; middle-aged trees produce the best quality and quantity of fruit.

Maybe it's a cooking pear, or a perry (cider) pear, or a winter-storing pear which need to be kept in a cool shed for a mnth or two, or maybe it's a random seedling which often don't produce good quality fruit.

With my pears, I wait for a few to drop and then harvest those which easily come away from the tree. Picking usually requires a few goings-over, taking a few weeks before all are picked.
      Those not needed within a few days go into my (cool) garage, or the fridge. They're OK for a week or two.

Those wanted to eat promptly are brought indoors into the fruit bowl for 2-3 days, after which they are at their best. Longer than a few days and the texture can go crumbly and they can rot from the core.

Putting on a window ledge seems to be too warm for them (and their flavour gets tainted by household odours). If I feel that fruit needs more ripening (admittedly mostly apples) I lay them out on our wooden garden benches for a week. The air temperature is cooler than in the house, which the fruits seem to like. The autumn sunshine on the fruits then enhances the colour and flavour.
      Even poorly-coloued and fairly under-ripe apples can become well-coloured, sweet and tasty after a week or two out in the air in the autum sunshine.
      Just watch out for bird damage if you lay out pears in this way. I can't imagine that pears would need more than a few days.

Like I said, though: it may be that your pear is not a good eater.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X