• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re Beans...

OK, this may be a really silly question

How do I grow red kidney beans?

Thanks

OWG

Try this link www.jeffersoninstitute.org/pubs/drybeans.shtml It includes spacings and so on for planting. Looks like you only get a small crop from each plant though.
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

This is also relevant

Types of Bean

Different types of bean are harvested at different stages of their growth. Shell beans are picked once the pods are firm and crisp, showing the shape of the bean inside. Pod beans are picked when the seeds in the pod appear plump and firm. Dry beans are picked once the pod is dried and looks dead.

Kidney beans are a dry bean type.
      The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

I'd grow them like French or Runner beans - just leave them on the vine. This is how I grow Yin Yang beans. I get a good crop - the bean pods are only small with 5 or so beans in each, but you get plenty. And they swell when soaked before cooking. There's a limit to how many you can eat in a season!
        Last edited by Flummery; 27-03-2007, 06:23 PM.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Just beware that when you come to harvest them they contain a toxin - this is broken down by boiling them hard for at least 10 minutes - preferably longer. Even 4 or 4 beans can cause quite serious illness if not heated up enough. Cooking them at under 100 degrees can actually make them more toxic, so be careful

(link: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap43.html )
          http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

Could I dry them and then cook them (does that make sense?)

Hmmm, may just stick to the tinned variety!
            Last edited by OverWyreGrower; 27-03-2007, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
              Could I dry them and then cook them (does that make sense?)
              I thought that is the whole idea. Dry them and store them for winter usage. pigletwillie seems to be quite knowledgeable about beans.

BTW The same toxin, AFAIK, is found in mature french beans as well.

Comment

Red kidney beans are so cheap to buy either dry or tinned it may not be worthwhile financially to grow them yourself. Personally I try to grow fresh produce - the only stuff I store is onions. I do save seeds from various beans, but tend to eat the beans green and fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post

The same toxin, AFAIK, is found in mature french beans as well.

You shouldn't eat french beans raw because of the lectins they contain.
                  Last edited by Lesley Jay; 27-03-2007, 08:12 PM.
                  [

Comment

I always wondered why i've seen the warning not to eat raw french beans! the term french beans i find a bit confusing - does this mean climbing beans, or dwarf beans? I've eaten both raw (straight off the plant) and it never did me any harm, but its only 2 or 3, not a whole handful!
                    There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
                    Happy Gardening!

Comment

Yeah, Protea, I always eat French beans raw off the plant...I never heard it was harmful...maybe I'll become ill now that I know this!

As for growing your own kidney or other dried beans...YES, you should if you can, to save on landfill (tins, plastic packaging) and food miles (trucking tins around the world)
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

It had me confused for a long time, but it seems that the toxin is only contained within the mature beans. If you eat the immature pods there is no issue.

Comment

Raw beans, raw french beans and raw runner beans contain a lectin called phytohaemagglutinins. This is what makes you feel unwell.

Yes, I Googled!
                          [

Comment

Ooooh I'm always nibbling away at beans while I'm working. What does lectin do to you ?
                            What is "u-n-w-e-l-l! ???
                            Last edited by JennieAtkinson; 27-03-2007, 08:30 PM.
                            ~
                            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Onset is usually marked by extreme nausea, followed by vomiting, which may be very severe. Diarrhea develops somewhat later (from one to a few hours), and some persons report abdominal pain. Some persons have been hospitalized, but recovery is usually rapid (3 - 4 h after onset of symptoms) and spontaneous. (http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap43.html)

A more detailed read @ http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X