I knew they were greedy, but blimey!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I knew they were greedy, but blimey!

Had two spring greens (dunno what they were, cabbages I guess) that were past their best, so decided to take them into the run, construct a hanging jobby string thingy and tie the cabbage on it, so it's high, making them work for it (suspended above a branch I have in their run)...

Anyway, so I see them fly up on the perch, and strech to peck at this cabage - cool I think.

I then stuff the next cabbage I have in a roof rafter, thinking I'll move it later/put it up tomorrow for them to peck at.

Came home from the plot yesterday to see my magpie (who's quite a large bird) hanging upside down flapping on this cabbage, eating it! All the bits she was dropping the othere were scooping up. I've no idea how she managed to get up there - but the run's roof is just under 6' high, the cabbage was rammed in under a roof sheet between it and the rafter! That's some mighty flapping/jumping to get up there, and she's got a wing clipped too! I guess where's there a will there's a way

They've not been out of the run for a couple days, so had no grass to peck at, as I'm working in the garden, and haven't netted off my raspberries yet (which they seem to love - even had to remove the rhubarb as they were eating all the new leaves coming through)... I guess they do like their greens!

Whenever I'm out and about I collect dandelion leaves for the chooks Chris. My lunchbox often comes home full of them. It's surprised me how much they love greens, bluebell comes running if she sees me with a handful of dandelion leaves, she much prefers me to hold them while she pecks at them rather than just drop them.

Your magpie sounds like quite a bright girl, a real problem solver.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Mine love to graze, they are almost as enthusiastic as geese! Quite often when I let them out in the morning they don't all head for the feeders but have five minutes or so cropping the fresh dewy grass. Many people comment on the rich colour of the yolks (I sell eggs) and I have always put it down to the amount of greenery they have access to.

Comment

Indeed, I know that greens = deeper yolks, everyone comments on ours too - which is nice. I was just so shocked that such a large bird would have the stamina to a) hold on upside down, b) flap to keep up there, and c) eat at the same time! I've gotta setup a camera and see how she does it

Aye mikey, mine like them held - i guess so they can rip smaller bits off - but that's why i put it swinging on a rope - they have to balance on a branch, stretch up and then time it for the swing back and forth

Comment

I wonder how many knocked themselves off the perch figuring that one out?
          I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I must have the only flock of Chooks that won't eat greens! I put it down to them having access to grass all day, but you would have thought they'd still like some variation in their diet.
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
              I must have the only flock of Chooks that won't eat greens! I put it down to them having access to grass all day, but you would have thought they'd still like some variation in their diet.
              Brassica leaves are supposedly good for them and help make the egg yolks yellower!
              I try to give mine dandelions if possible cos they like em and they are supposedly full of goodness and have an organic worming effect?
              Not much help G4 if yours won't touch the stuff though!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

We sell our surplus and the neighbouring five houses down our lane are always asking for more! We give ours garlic porridge using organic Irish porridge - they eat better than we do - Mr VVG makes it with three cloves. Extra strong and they love it! After that they come up the garden and free range on my lettuce and pea shoots - grass if I catch them!
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

My lot love greens and I go to our twice weekly market to get all the trimmings from the cabbages and cauliflowers I can. We don't have any grass left for them!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X