Too late to plant onions in May?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too late to plant onions in May?

My daughter's nursery got the plot in January, it was completely overgrown with brambles, couch grass, everything! And only now are we in a position to plant onion sets.

Are we too late? We're in Yorkshire, so we're still getting frosts at night...

Thanks!
    Maggie

You can still plant them but may want to consider using them as spring onions rather than full size ones. In fact, I picked up a bag of onion sets just the other day to use in this way.

Comment

Spring onions would be fine mind - I sowed some in may and june last year and still got edible sized ones for salads etc! some even started to bulb up a bit!

Comment

Bulb formation on Onions starts when a crtain day length is reached, so they are one crop that won't "catch up", sadly.

The Spring Onions route would be fine though ...
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

They've got two chances!

If you've got the space going begging............go for it.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Personally I don't think the decision is quite as easy as that ... you have to look after them for 4 or 5 months to get a crop, so if you are hoping to avoid buying at the shop, and if you have no alternative "likely to succeed" crop, then an experiment can be "expensive"
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I'm with Snadge on this. Bung them in and you will have onions.

Comment

I have just put a load in. As others have said, bung 'em in, you've got nothing to loose. If nothing else, it will remind everyone to start earlier next year
                A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Will onion sets really turn into spring onions? I'm not talking about sowing seeds, these are mini-onions that are already more bulb-y than Spring Onions.

Anyway, I'll bung 'em in & give them a go...

Maggie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X