late fruiting strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• late fruiting strawberries

Four of my strawberry baskets expired this year and I want to plant up a later fruiting variety against my "Irresistible" variety currently fruiting well.
    I am also willing to try a perpetual variety.
    Any advice or suggestions welcome
    You grow it; I'l tell you how to cook it

I have a mix of late varieties but all my strawbs are fruiting at the mo.Flamenco and Aromel are a few good everbears I have that are nice but don't get as much fruit from them as the June bares Fraises des bois are the the next ever bearing strwbs I will buy they are a close relation to the alpine . Same flavour but bigger fruit .they are a little harder to get hold of and a little bit more money but my alpine is so tasty that I would love bigger cropers hope this helps ..
    My year log of growthhttp://http://backgardenfarm.blogspot.com/
    up dated blog 27th june ..pls read if u have the time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e0YjOHl2zI

Comment

Symphony, Florence, Alice, Tenira, Cambridge Late Pine are all good reliable 'late' fruiting varieties Picking peaks around mid July, but may extend fruiting towards the end of the month. Alice has a longer fruiting season than the others. CLP is revered for its flavour which is reputedly one of the best. but the flavour of the others are also very good. . Aromel is a perpetual, which fruits later than 'late' summer strawberries, but you need to remove all the flowers in Apri/May to prevent fruiting in midsummer to get a decent early autumn crop. Too much work, maybe.
      Last edited by bendipa; 03-05-2011, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Is it too late to plant up perpetuals??? Not too much work as I would only have about four or six baskets with three, posible four plants each and all at head hight around my pond pergola; scars on my head to prove it too.

Comment

You really want to get the plants into soil asap, as April and May are the key months for root growth which establish the plant and give it the vigour to fruit well. I'm not too keen on growing strawbs in hanging baskets. You can do, and I've done it myself, but always best to grow them in the ground, or failing that a nice sized container that will allow the plants a sufficient root run. Flamenco is supposed to be a very good perpetual. Not grown it myself though.

The first pic shows a really good container 30 cm sq and about 25 cm deep. It will take 3 - 4 plants. I picked this one up cheap at Poundland for £1. The second pic shows strawbs growing in a wall basket I planted 2 in there, but they require a lot more attention when grown in a container that small.

StrawbCont | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Strawbs In Container | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
          Last edited by bendipa; 03-05-2011, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I have four baskets ready with plenty of pony poo [last years & well black] water gel mixed with half peat and soil [I tried peat free last year] it turned out to be rubbish; it started to ferment and heat up and went a grey colour. I'm with Alan Titmarch on this one. I'ill stay away until a good one comes along.
            My main containers have about 40 litres of the above and five plants per tub, my baskets are 14 and deep so I can put a minimum of four per basket. I think I have some stored pictures on this sight somewher.

Comment

I put first year plants or runners in to hanging baskets and then move year two plants into my large pots Early feb so I get a good second year havest .had no probs with strawbs in baskets but use large baskets and I only put three plants in each basket ..I plant up in feb though to give plants as long as poss to establish in there new homes ready for fruiting ..
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Germinater; 04-05-2011, 09:04 AM. Reason: add pics

Comment

I have just finished planting out four baskets 3 to a 14 inch basket. I managed to get some realy healthy plants in good sized pots and planted without disturbing the roots.
                I have been trying to get a few pictures onto my replies but do not understand the system. I have the pictures ready on my desktop but the files are too large.
                Ther's another plea for help; how to down/upload pictures here or onto my profile.

Comment

Reading and Posting Messages

Read the paragraph on attachments and images.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken the Chef View Post
                    I have been trying to get a few pictures onto my replies but do not understand the system. I have the pictures ready on my desktop but the files are too large.
                    Ther's another plea for help; how to down/upload pictures here or onto my profile.
                    One option is to get an account at an image hosting site such as photobucket.com
                    upload your pictures to that site.

Then you can either reduce the size of the picture and upload it to the grapevine the way you have already attempted.

Or, click on the picture and select the "IMG code" and copy it into your grapvine post.

(The IMG code will be a web address begninning with "[IMG]" and ending with "[/IMG], but will appear as a photo in your post)

like this:

If your photos are uploaded anywhere on the internet such as facebook, you can get the the IMG code from it and bung them in your grapevine post.

Try right clicking on a photo you want, select "properties", then copy the URL address of the photo into a grapevine post with "[IMG]"in front of it and "[/IMG] after it.

Hope that helps with photo issues.
                    Last edited by timethatthetaleweretold; 04-05-2011, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Download picaso to desk top and then import pics you want to put on here then resize and save to desk top sign in to here and upload the file you saved and done .I had same prob at first as pics have to much data but picaso from goggle is very easy to use look forward to your pics..!!..

Comment

I was bought a lovely strawberry planter by OH so potted some into it today - got 4 of last years mixed runners (i really wish i'd labelled them!) in the bottom row, got another 4 waiting for the top row then got my massive plant on the top hole - looks lovely. I then filled a big pot with 5 of my larger strawb plants, and have another 2 large pots to fill, then another one once my fraise de bois' arrive. Then another pot full of alpines

Strawberry mad here. Have about 40 plants, not including some more that i've ordered. I have about 9 different varieties! yum yum

Comment

How do you label your runners? I have a mixed bed of strawberries and stuck their labels next to them for runner harvesting. Unfortunately the chickens got in and removed nearly all stickers, so a "wraparound label" is what I need this year. Any ideas? And any ideas how I figure out which is which?
                          (I had Albion in a container last year which I planted out after fruiting, that was so far the tastiest strawberry I have ever eaten in my life!!!) Also I make a point whenever I see an unknown strawberry variety in the supermarket to buy a punnet for a taster, this works really good if the shop has several different varieties on offer)

Comment

Any use, Annette?: LOOP LOCK LABELS - WHITE 16CM TIE ON PLANT LABELS X 50 | eBay UK

Comment

I'm really disappointed this year with my strawberries - there are very few of them! I've always had enough for the grandchildren and for jam making, but there were a few less last year. Advice was that if the plants were older than 3 years they should be replaced, so I propogated runners and discarded the old plants. This year they are looking decidedly spindly and there aren't enough of them. Is it too late to buy some plants from somewhere to boost the harvest?
                              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X