Chitted Potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chitted Potatoes

I have some Arran Pilot which have chitted away quite nicely and how have nice long health shoots but these are now developing side shoots/roots so I guess I had better get them in this weekend, only problem is dont know which way to plant them

shoots up or shoots down?

morning kimbo

shoots up
    roots down
    seems to be how most of my things grow
    a little soft earth at bottom of trench and then roots down shoots and cover with earth. if you have frost forecast a fleece cover will protect them until they are established

phil
    this will be a battle from the heart
    cymru am byth

Comment

my shoots and roots are coming out of the same side
      Belgrave-allotments.co.uk

Comment

Just put them in PP they will sort the rest out. Just think of those lovely new potatoes with butter - yummmmy
        Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
        -- Alfred E. Neumann
        http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

Agree with all the above. If you're still unsure, just bung them in a whole, they'll still grow!
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Plant them the same way up as you've chitted them. The little green bits at the top will be leaves, and the rootlets coming from the bottom of the shoots will go down into the ground. Even if you get them the wrong way up they will probably still grow OK

Comment

Agree with rusty.... as you chitted them is best!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Well I have put out my arran pilot into polypots (hopefully the right way up) and fingers crossed they come out ok

Comment

i've been to the lottie today and found it works.
                  the shoots up roots down method has shot 5 inches out of the pot in 7 days that is truly the first signn of a new crop of tatties.
                  this will be a battle from the heart
                  cymru am byth

Comment

As with any plant Kimbo, if you're not sure which way is up, put them on their sides. They'll find up and down themselves.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                      As with any plant Kimbo, if you're not sure which way is up, put them on their sides. They'll find up and down themselves.
                      thats what I did in the end so hopefully will get some spuds - not too worried as I also have charlotte, pentland javelin, maris piper and pink fir apple to go in yet so I shouldnt go short of spuds

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X