Garlic Problems

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic Problems

I went to the plot today and had a look at the garlic which has been overwintering. The shoots are a good 6-8 inches tall, and about twice the diameter of a pencil. However some of them are looking rotten, as if its covered in slime?? Maybe i'm being paranoid but it just doesn't seem right. Anyone got any ideas???

Looked at mine they are the same, lovely tops but no bottom.

marion

Comment

I usually lose a few to onion rot - not sure if this is the same thing?
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Sounds very much like onion rot. I often get a rot on some of mine but not this early in the year.

Ian

Comment

Oh my onion rot doesn't sound too good. When I think about it my onions, leeks, garlic and shallots have never done well on my plot. They always grow to a good size but just always look "rotten" and not fresh. I've looked it up in Dr. Hessayon and he says that nothing can be done about it and not to grow onions etc in the ground for at least 8 years. Yes I do use crop rotation.

Comment

I've read somewhere about making up a liquid mix of chopped & mashed garlic or onion and spraying/watering it on the ground where you'll be planting alliums next year. This needs to be done a bit before winter when any spores of the fungi are still active - I can't remember the exact temperature the soil must be above. The theory is that the presence of the allium in the liquid activate any spores which then have nothing to feed on and die leaving the ground clean(er) of the fungi that causes onion rot.

Anyone tried this?

Must try it myself later this year - just involves lots of forward planning and I still don't have a complete idea where everything is going this year let alone next
            Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Yes, I am doing a trial this year of this organic method of combating white rot in alliums. There are details of the method here :- vegetable diseases
              It will be late Summer if I know that it has worked but I am hopeful.

Comment

If it was onion white rot, there would no resistance if you gave the foliage a pull and the plant would lift easily from the soil. In all probability there would be signs of white fluffy material at the foor of the bulb and the bulb would also show signs of rot. Nothing you describe seems to match that scenario.

I haven't seen your plants but it sounds to me that the outer leaves have been damaged by the winter weather . If you can, scrape away the slimy material and keep your fingers crossed that I am correct as they should grow away fine as the weather improves.

Comment

It will not be white rot at this time of year as White rot needs a soil temp between 10C and 20C to affect alliums.

Comment

I lost all my garlic and onions to white rot last year, but it was later, at this time year they had looked fine, so I agree you problem seems unlikely to be that. I;m having to grow all mine at home as the new alltoment site isn;t up and running, and there is no point in growing them at the other garden, only to loos ethem all.
                    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have lost a few this year. The root system has been good and the bulb has started out fine. The top growth has formed but then the bulb has just rotted. Probably down to frost damage and a cold wet winter.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by realfood View Post
                        Yes, I am doing a trial this year of this organic method of combating white rot in alliums. There are details of the method here :- vegetable diseases
                        It will be late Summer if I know that it has worked but I am hopeful.
                        Do let us know how it goes - I'm planning to try preparing a few beds in this way for next season so I'll be watering the mix on later in the summer.
                        Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X