Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries

Hi All,

Really want a good few strawberry plants in my garden this year.

Problem is I dont have a clue where to get started! could someone kindly point me in the right direction

Much appreciated
    Last edited by AmyRose; 09-01-2011, 08:35 PM.

Well, most seed companies have quite good offers at the moment for plants, and they should fruit this year. That said, perceived wisdom is that you remove any fruit in the first year, BUT I've never been able to do that.

I've found DTBrown very good for strawberry plants, and would recommend them.

valmarg

Comment

P.S. A very good, well flavoured variety is Florence, but DTB do offers on early, mid and late season collections.

valmarg

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
        Well, most seed companies have quite good offers at the moment for plants, and they should fruit this year. That said, perceived wisdom is that you remove any fruit in the first year, BUT I've never been able to do that.

I've found DTBrown very good for strawberry plants, and would recommend them.

valmarg
        Awesome, thank you valmarg! would you reccomend getting plants then as oposed to growing from seed, also if i buy the plants now when do i plant out? straight away?

Comment

I prefer to buy plants.

As I said seed companies do some good offers at the moment. DTB have an offer of Mae, Elegance and Florence plants. 12 runners of each for £24.85. The varieties are Mae (early) Elegance (mid season) and Florence (late season). Once you've got your plants you can increase your stocks by rooting runners.

There are suppliers other than DTB, but I do find them good value, and probably one of the most reasonably priced (and no I don't work for the company, I'm a very satisfied customer)

With regard to growing from seed, most of the seed sold is for perpetual fruiting varieties, ie more towards alpines. You can save seed from strawberries, but they are most likely F1 and will not come true.

valmarg

valmarg

Comment

Brilliant thank you; ill have a browse around for some plants

Should they be planted outside straight away?

Comment

Originally posted by AmyRose View Post
              Should they be planted outside straight away?
              We don't, when we receive them we pot them up into 3.5" pots.

I should have to say we don't grow them in the garden, we keep them in 5" pots in the greenhouse for an early crop.

The pots have been outside for several months (well frosted), and will be transferred to the unheated greenhouse shortly, basically to force them a bit. We usually get an early crop, perhaps a bit later than the shops, but the taste of ours is much better.

vakmarg

Comment

Lovely cheers; cant wait to get growing them

i dont have a greenhouse but i can ask someone at the garden centre when best to plant outside, then i can get growing yummy strawberries myself

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X