Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing quinces for cooking-help needed

Hi
    I have been given a whole bag of quinces. My question is, is there an easier way of removing the skin because peeling them is blooming hard work and I've got loads to peel! I was wondering if boiling them whole for a bit might soften the skins??
    AKA Angie

It works on tomatoes so why not give it a try with a few

This from a woman who wouldn't know a quince if it jumped up and bit her. What you gonna make?
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Not sure yet. The same person that gave me a bag full today, gave me a couple the other week to try, so I peeled and stewed them and thought they were yummy but the peeling was really hard work cos the skins are so tough. Guess it might be jelly or jam, not sure what else you can do with them.
      AKA Angie

Comment

Why not try steaming them???...and let us know how you get on!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

This link suggests you don't need to peel if you are making quince jelly.

Or quarter them first using a big sharp knife and then peel with a potato peeler.
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Thanks Nicos and Jeanied, might just try the steaming. Can I make a cordial from them and how do you do that?
            AKA Angie

Comment

Here you are...this is a really lovely site!!

The Cottage Smallholder Quince jelly and other quince recipes revisited

I heard that the longer the quinces are off the tree the yummier their final flavour. 30 days seems to stick in my mind.
              I've never cooked a quince so don't take my word for it

....I've only ever been given quinces once just beore we went away on hols- and when we got back they'd gone brown beyond use

Good luck- et us know how you get on!!

Comment

te he...just clicked on Jeanie's link - and it's the same site!!!...great minds n all that eh???

Comment

I have a (scrumpted!) bowl full in the kitchen at the moment and they're filling the air with the most fantastic scent! I will be making quince vodka shortly - grate the quince into bottles/jars (about 1/3 quince to 2/3 vodka) and cover with vodka, apparently it needs to be left a long time (2 years I was told!)

Comment

You can use a spud peeler - easier if they are softer and more ripe - but I like to grate them and make a jelly - by grating you get all the flavour.
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by vicky View Post
                      I have a (scrumpted!) bowl full in the kitchen at the moment and they're filling the air with the most fantastic scent! I will be making quince vodka shortly - grate the quince into bottles/jars (about 1/3 quince to 2/3 vodka) and cover with vodka, apparently it needs to be left a long time (2 years I was told!)
                      ooh that sounds good! Do you need to add any sugar?
                      AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                        You can use a spud peeler - easier if they are softer and more ripe - but I like to grate them and make a jelly - by grating you get all the flavour.
                        Flum just to confirm you grate the whole thing, skin and all?
                        AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
                          ooh that sounds good! Do you need to add any sugar?
                          Whoops, forgot to ask them that! I'd imagine so...I may have an enjoyable afternoon adding sugar 'to taste'!

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
                            Flum just to confirm you grate the whole thing, skin and all?
                            Yep - for a jelly - after al you strain it through a jelly bag, but grating help to extract the flavour.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Had to laugh the other day, on Alan Titchmarsh show he had quinces and passed them round the celebratity guests and one of them bit into one before Alan could stop him, his face was a picture.
                              Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                              and ends with backache

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X