Twisted French Beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twisted French Beans

My French Beans, grown in the polytunnel, are growing twisted and curled, alright to eat, just an odd shape. Any ideas on what went wrong - nutrient imbalance? We have had a very poor summer (Shetland) with little sun and even courgettes have struggled!
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Jennie
    My French Beans did the same ! I grew dwarf variety "Tendersweet" in a half barrel, fed and watered as required, but can count the number of straight beans on one hand - from a reasonably good crop. Don't know why but would love to hear from anyone who has any ideas.
    Cheers
    Rat
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mine too! Actually lots of straight ones but LOADS of curly ones - they are French varieties - Fingourmet and Longio, so nothing to do with the variety. The wrong kind of rain, perhaps?

Comment

Mine too!

i assumed it was the fact that they are growing up a fairly small wigwam and got caught up in leaves and poles

Comment

and mine, but I'm a bit neglectful of my beans! ...

Comment

My Cosse Violette are twisted (about half of them) but no other varieties have done it.

Could it be this > Brown Spot , which thrives in cool, moist weather
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 06-08-2009, 09:10 AM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Definitely not that on mine, TS. They look healthy, just twisted. Lots of foliage has been nibbled by my little slimy friends, but other than those damaged leaves, the rest look in prime health!

Comment

Mine have as well, I would have a sneaky suspicion that it is down to weather change, it was extremely hot and dry and now its extremely wet and humid, who knows!

But my purple dwarfs have gone twisted and curled still tasty though so no harm done
                Those that forget the past are condemned to repeat it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X