Pink Fur Apple potatoes - which way?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pink Fur Apple potatoes - which way?

Hi there, I'm chitting my spuds at the moment and one variety I have chosen this year is the Pink Fur Apple, which way do I plant them? Horizonally or vertically (or doesn't it really matter?!) They are all standing upright at the moment like a wierd kind of stone henge! Many thanks
    Eden

Can you see bags under the eyes, or eyebrows???
    If they look like eyebrows then turn them the other way round!
    When I grew them, they arrived unchitted at planting time and I just put them in flat and they still cropped well.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Eden View Post
      Hi there, I'm chitting my spuds at the moment and one variety I have chosen this year is the Pink Fur Apple, which way do I plant them? Horizonally or vertically (or doesn't it really matter?!) They are all standing upright at the moment like a wierd kind of stone henge! Many thanks
      Eden
      From memory they don't chit; I had a very frustrating time with them
      Just bash them in the ground and they'll grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Smuff View Post
        From memory they don't chit; I had a very frustrating time with them
        Just bash them in the ground and they'll grow.
        Mine did chit last year, but took a long time. I had a good 1.5 cm long sprout. From memory i planted them horizontally with the sprouts facing upwards, i think they sprouted all along the length, not just at one end like other varieties!

If they're not sprouting i wouldn't worry too much, they are a late maincrop anyway so you won't be digging them up for many months, they'll have plenty of time to grow
        There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
        Happy Gardening!

Comment

Never tried Pink Fir Apple but have done Harlequin & Anya which are a similar shape. I chitted them standing on end with the end with most eyes on at the top but they do tend to sprout from lower down & sides as well, I planted them upright like that but I don't think it really matters as they'll find there own way whatever.
          Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Pink Fur! I can imagine little apples with pink fur jackets on. Cute.

Anyway, you don't need to chit maincrops, which Pink Fir are. They are a terrific potato, staying a long time in the ground, even as late as November here where we don't get frosts. Just make a hole, bung 'em in.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Two sheds, do you really just make a hole and bung them in. Do you not open trenches for them.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                Two sheds, do you really just make a hole and bung them in. Do you not open trenches for them.
                I don't dig trenches as I try as far as possible to practice a 'no dig' philosophy!

Heavy mulch of manure and just dibble holes through the mulch into the soil! The worms and the tatties will do the digging!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well last year we just dug a hole (6" deep) and put in a tattie, then earthed up when necessary. No problemo.
                  To see a world in a grain of sand
                  And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Pink Fur Apple potato

Growing Barbie instead of Nicola or Charlotte then?

Or is this the demonseed result of a toytown extramartial liason where Mr Potatohead was "playing away" with Barbie when Ken was on holiday.
                    Last edited by Peter; 27-02-2007, 10:53 PM.
                    Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                    Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                    I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Protea View Post
                      Mine did chit last year, but took a long time. I had a good 1.5 cm long sprout. From memory i planted them horizontally with the sprouts facing upwards, i think they sprouted all along the length, not just at one end like other varieties!

If they're not sprouting i wouldn't worry too much, they are a late maincrop anyway so you won't be digging them up for many months, they'll have plenty of time to grow
                      Interesting, I think I had a mild panic and planted the tubers alternatively horizontally then vertically
                      They all came up regardless.

Comment

Chitted our Pink Firs last year, but painfully slow, am not going to bother this year with all later varieties incl these. Shoots came out all which-ways, and we chucked them in the ground all which-ways too - but they seem to know which way is UP - all that matters really!.

Didn't dig a trench, popped them in holes. Worked a treat.

Incidentally 2 things about this variety. It won't yield as well as some others - but they are REALLY worth the effort, one of the best, Makes the best pot salad known!

We found the foliage on Pink Firs was pretty tall, compared with other potato varieties, and lots of it ended up flopping over, but didn't seem to bother the tubers - although I guess Blight would enjoy the conditions, if you don't watch it.

LCG

Comment

Yes, really. I find myself always questioning "why", and I like testing different ways of doing things. I'm one of the awkward squad, I like to find out for myself.
                          Not only do I not dig trenches, I don't earth up either. Instead, I apply a grass clipping mulch (prevents scab). Less digging all round
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The problem with Pink Fir Apple in my garden is that it's so late. I'd lose most of the crop to blight. I know this because that's what happened last year!
                            But good luck with it!

Berr.

Comment

Originally posted by la cebolla grande View Post
                              Chitted our Pink Firs last year, but painfully slow, am not going to bother this year with all later varieties incl these. Shoots came out all which-ways, and we chucked them in the ground all which-ways too - but they seem to know which way is UP - all that matters really!.

Didn't dig a trench, popped them in holes. Worked a treat.

Incidentally 2 things about this variety. It won't yield as well as some others - but they are REALLY worth the effort, one of the best, Makes the best pot salad known!

We found the foliage on Pink Firs was pretty tall, compared with other potato varieties, and lots of it ended up flopping over, but didn't seem to bother the tubers - although I guess Blight would enjoy the conditions, if you don't watch it.

LCG
                              I grew PFA for the first time last year and they performed better than my other maincrops giving on average 1.5Kg of spuds per shaw!
                              I agree about the height of the foliage (approx 5'0" high!!) and this year I intend to stake the rows similar to broad beans with canes and string.

The flavour is superb and doesn't diminish no matter how long you keep them. I am still eating mine now and I will grow PFA every year as it seems to like my soil and the crop can only get even bigger & better if staked!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X