Kale Harvesting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kale Harvesting

My Kale is 2.5-3' tall - Black Tuscan & Curly Kale, think I was a bit too optimistic when planting as my bed is quite croweded, but it's growing amazingly fast and bushy. I've pulled a few lower stalks off... but I thought Kale was a witner veg? Does it develop better taste after frosts? The black tuscan is quite ornate, definately going to grow it next year, may even mix and match it around the place

I think it looks quite exotic dotted around the allotment! Not sure the flavour improves with a frost but when it does eventually run to seed the seedheads can be used like broccoli spears!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ah, thanks I didn't know that...

Comment

You can plant closely for cut-and-come again leaves (for a stir fry). Leave others to grow bigger for winter crops
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I grow Kale up the centre of my runner bean trench as a catch crop.. this will be ready to eat by christmas and a few leaves of each plant at a time will ensure they keep us well fed until spring when i remove the canes and re-compost the trench for the next year.. never had a problem

PS.. the yellowbits are spent hops as a mulch and to detere slogs and snails
          Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

ive just planted out 3 black tuscany plants in their final positions, hopefully they will put enough growth on before winter comes. im looking forward to having a winter crop this year.
            http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

Comment

It's supposed to taste better after a frost (dwarf curly) but I'm more than happy tucking in before hand. Once the leaves are a bit tough, the best way of harvesting is to pinch out the central crown - new shoots will sprout along the stem; new leaves to harvest soon arrive.
              Douglas

Website: www.sweetpeasalads.co.uk - starting up in 2013 (I hope!)
              Twitter: @sweetpeasalads

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X