Late season strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late season strawberries

This year the strawberries at the lottie all did very well and produced far more than I expected but as they are all the same variety the season was pretty short. I have some everbearers and alpine ones at home which extend it to some extent but was thinking of adding some late season ones at the lottie too. What variety does anybody recommend? Have been told that Symphony and Florence are good but never had them so would like a few opinions before I order. Ta muchly

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Symphony are slightly on the sharper-tasting and more solid textured end of the scale.

Florence are very weak growers, producing few - if any - runners. They often divide into two plants at the crown.

I prefer Christine as an early variety - vigorous plants, masses of runners and masses of large, sweet fruits.
    If Christine strawberries ripen before the cherries, the birds will devour them.
    (The fact that birds love them is, in my mind, a sign of a tasty fruit ).

I prefer Pegasus as a late variety - fairly vigorous, good quantities of runners and good yields of soft-textured, medium-sized, sweet fruits.

Alpine strawberries then take over from the main strawberries - alpines will continue fruiting from mid-summer through until the autumn.

Comment

Sounds like Pegasus might be the ones to go for then as am already more than covered in the early and alpine areas. Thanks

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Try Maras De Bois (ken muir nurseries - online ) Large,Prolific ,Lovely aromatic flavour - lots of runners .Last year I was picking until November .You can if you don`t pick of flowers in April/may get 2 crops.
        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tomsloc View Post
          Try Maras De Bois (ken muir nurseries - online ) Large,Prolific ,Lovely aromatic flavour - lots of runners .Last year I was picking until November .You can if you don`t pick of flowers in April/may get 2 crops.
          Tom
          Got some of those in a bed at home, they're OKish to me but it is only their first year. Don't really want any more perpetual ones, more a normal main crop but later than the ones I have. Thanks for the suggestion though

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X