Strawberries new for old

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries new for old

My strawberry bed must be about 5 years old and the harvest hasn't been as good as usual. I considered new plants last year, but hedged my bets! Would you recommend propagating new plants from runners, or would I be best buying new replacement plants?
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

I'm replacing my plants with runners.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

If you are an oganised person (I'm starting like that to explain that this is a good idea but I never get around to it!) you can replace a third of your old plants each year with runners. Then eventually no plant is more than 3 years old (which is meant to be their optimum age).
      Counsel of perfection though. I'd go with runners too if you are satisfied with your variety. I replaced all mine a couple of years back because I wanted Marshmello. I'm now letting runners root to add to my stock.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Strawberries are very hungry plants.
        The soil is depleted and needs a rest.
        Take some runners and put them into a new bed.
        Grow something else in the strawberry bed for a couple of seasons while building up the soil again (but don't let strawberries, potatoes or tomatoes follow each other).

Comment

The ideal would be to put the runners in the next row so that in time your strawberry bed creeps down the allotment. You can't with raised beds though.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

If you're happy with the variety, then replace by rooting your own runners.

Comment

I set up a year 1 strawberry bed last year and then took a runner off each plant which became the second bed this year. I will be taking another set of runners this year for a third bed with the first bed being replaced the year after. I have to be pretty regemented about it or I'd leave them for years. Unless you want to try a different variety then I'd definitely go for your own runners, they're free after all and just as good as any other new plants you might buy.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Are you leaving them in the same three beds permanantely Alison? I thought you had to move them to fresh soil after 3 years ie soil that hasn't had strawbs in it for 3 years. I wonder if you could just replace the soil (?) My strawb bed is narrower than all the rest as I was advised to plant in rows not beds. I have two rows with a path to walk down in between, and if/when I move em it's really going to cock things up.

Comment

I've not got to the point where I have to replace yet so it's not been a problem. I think I'm going to rotate them with some seed saving beds so that there are 6 beds in total and in any given year, 3 will have strawberries and the other 3 will have things I'm just growing for saving seeds, have one with second year onions flowering in one at the moment.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Good idea that, sounds very organasized

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X