Black things on my potatoes!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black things on my potatoes!!!

Hello everyone Im Julie and Im really new to gardening and growing my own fruit and veg.

Ive got potatoes growing in potato sacks and they have been doing very well so far. The problem ive got is that Ive just noticed what look like tiny black eggs and beetles on the very top of the stems around the buds. Ive looked on the internet and could only come up with flea beetles, although their larvae are white apperently and these look all black!! Has anybody got any ideas as to what they could be, will they cause a problem and how do I get rid of them if they will cause a problem???

I would be so gratefull for any help or advice!!

Sounds like blackfly (aphids). Rub them off with your fingers (use rubber gloves if you're squeamish)

Comment

thank you for such a quick reply, I forget to put that there are hundreds of them all together down the stem does that still sound like black fly?? will they cause any damage to my potatoes??

thanks Julie

Comment

Yes, they definitely sound like blackfly. "Fly" is a bit of a misnomer, cos they don't actually fly that much. They cluster round succulent stems, suck the sap and transmit virus diseases. Get rid.

Comment

Well Ive squashed as many as I could tonight, do you think soapy water might help to kill them as well??

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X