Baby pumpkins

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby pumpkins

A friend is growing some baby pumpkins and has about 11 seedlings in a half barrel type pot. She says she planted them according to the packet instructions as regards spacing buto me it looks like a lot of plants in a small space. Does anyoe know how big baby pumpkin plants grow please and ideal spacings as she is new to growing and i have no idea regards baby pumpkins. Thanks Katie

Tiny pumpkins can reach up to 6" across and up to 2 pounds, Miniature pumpkins are vining plants so if growing them in a container you have to have a very large one. Leave 6-10 ft (= 2-3 m) between plants depending on the variety if on the ground? I read that here somewhere!

I think the seed packet may have suggested to plant them close like that but i think it is allowing for thinning and incase they get 'slugged' lol. I would think only one in a 'very' big pot and lots of trellis for the vines to grow up/along/over lol

We are very new GYO'ers but we are doing everything in containers in the back yard! We are sure that many of the experienced people on the forum will give you a more defined answer!

Selenemourie
    GYO Photos, Pests, Problems and luvvin it!!
    http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/s...ie/Vegetables/

Comment

We grew some 'Wee be Little' pumpkins which are very small pumpkins. The bush growth habit of this plant still measured 3ft across. If you pack them in too close together it will increase the chances of disease as there will be very little air flow to circulate around the plant. Things like Powdery Mildew etc.
      My 3D Pumpkin Carvings
      https://www.facebook.com/totallypumpkins

2014 Giant Pumpkin Diary
      http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/Dia...51148&action=L

Comment

I grow Hooligan which is softball size: the plants they grow on need to be a metre apart
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'd agree that 1m between plants would be the minimum spacing.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks, i'll pass the message on, it's her 1st year growing so she has just done what the packet said. I did say about putting 1 per v large pot or a big space direct in her garden but when she said they were baby ones and she'd spaced them according to instructions i thought i'd better check
            Katie

Comment

I'd want to look at that packet ...
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The only thing is, pumpkins tend to sprawl so she could try and guide each one out in a different direction and make sure she feeds the pot regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave & Kate N Wales View Post
                  A friend is growing some baby pumpkins and has about 11 seedlings in a half barrel type pot. She says she planted them according to the packet instructions as regards spacing buto me it looks like a lot of plants in a small space.
                  I maybe wrong but your friend didn't get mixed up with inches and feet did they? I was trying to work out how 11 pumpkin seedlings in a small space could have come about. That's the only theory I could come up with
                  My 3D Pumpkin Carvings
                  https://www.facebook.com/totallypumpkins

2014 Giant Pumpkin Diary
                  http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/Dia...51148&action=L

Comment

....unless its just the spacing for the initial seedlings to grow before being moved on perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      I'd want to look at that packet ...
                      Well i would but she's an online friend who lives the other side of the country, i just saw her facebook pics and tried to advise her as someone had already advised her to thin her carrots out

Comment

Originally posted by Dave & Kate N Wales View Post
                        Well i would but she's an online friend who lives the other side of the country
                        Yup, definitely too close together unless that barrel is the size of Bridgend!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X