Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top-Cropping above Jerusalem Artichokes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top-Cropping above Jerusalem Artichokes?

You know how you get an idea in your mind and then just can't let it go?
    Well, I'm about to plant 5 tubers in a long raised bed just crammed with well-rotted FYM, and I've convinced myself, that I could get a quick crop of, say, Mangetout or Sugarsnap Peas to crop on top of the JA's and be harvested out the way, and then maybe a Butternut or Crown Prince to follow, and finally harvesting the JA's later.

It's the fault of that Three Sisters Bed that's got me going (!)

In your 'minds eye', do you think I'd get as decent a crop of each as I would if I grew them completely separately?
    The intended bed really is in beautiful nick.....

Would the JA's give too much shade, Wellie?

Comment

Hi Hazel,

No, the bed (from end to end) is NW to SE, so gets sun one side in the morning and the other side in the afternoon. So basically, from the minute the sun rises, to the moment the sun sets...

Comment

Then I'd give it a whirl! Just my opinion, mind - I do post from a position of complete ignorance!

Comment

The stems can get quite tall and bushy. From memory some of ours in the first year were triffids from quite early on (June) prime cropping time for the mange tout etc. How about using the stems as supports a la three sisters for say Black Forest Courgettes, or even sweet peas.
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Good question Wellie. I'm in the same position (maybe). New raised beds just about ready and now wondering what to grow there - or what will grow there. I'll watch this space.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
              ..... some of ours in the first year were triffids from quite early on (June) .
              Oh good (I wonder if they will be up here?)
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X