Blueberries and birds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueberries and birds

Can I ask are birds a problem with ripening blueberries do I need to cover them up. this is my first year and have what looks like quite a good crop coming.
    Slowly takes it!

Never grown blueberries, but the sparrows in my garden will eat anything. If I were you, I would net them to be on the safe side.

Comment

Yes it is best to cover them from birds. Those blueberries that fall to the ground I usually let the blackbirds eat but those still on the bush are highly protected with netting

Comment

Yes, birds are a serious problem.
        A few varieties don't suffer from bird attack because they have late-ripening berries (ripen after the birds have found something tastier to eat) or very large berries (too large for the birds to grab).

Comment

I've grown blueberries for several years - I've never had a problem with birds but I do have to share the berries with the wasps!!
          aka
          Suzie

Comment

Blueberries are popular with: blackbirds, tits, pigeons, jays - we have lots of them.

I net or would see no fruit.

Comment

Last year had a good looking crop which just disappeared overnight I can only assume the birds had them, so will net the bush this year.
              aka Neil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X