Glorious Gooseberries?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glorious Gooseberries?

The season for this much under-rated fruit is upon us and again the bushes are laden
    I am determined not to waste any but to make full use of my crop I need more inspiration, there is only so much crumble you can eat.
    I rarely make goseberry jam, preferring others but I do make gooseberry chutney.
    Last year I made some wonderful gooseberry cakes - one with cooked fruit in the mixture, the other a sponge topped with gooseberries tossed in butter and syrup which was wonderful

Anyone got any inspirational recipe ideas?

On my blog, a few posts ago, there's a recipe for Old Fashioned Sticky Rhubarb Cake. i think it will work just as well with goosegobs. I'm going to try it anyway.
    I love gooseberry fool. Stewed sweetened fruit with half custard and half thick cream whizzed together, chilled, yumm!
    They also make a good accompaniment to oily fish like mackerel. Use like you would apple sauce with pork.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I've just defrosted some of last years(..I know- I know)

..and I'm going to liquidise them and stir them in with thick cream, plain yog and sugar to make a type of fool.
      Chill in idividual portions
      Bit of grated choc on the top- yum!
      Nice seved with ginger biccie or shortbread

( bet that would work well with rhubarb too!)
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

i am so jeolous of you three!! i love goosegogs, but they dont seem to want to grow for me- they dont do well. have just today decided i would have to go to a pick your own to get some for jam and freezer!

Comment

With just about any fruit surplus, the standard answer is WINE!!!!
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X