purple sprouting broccoli

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• purple sprouting broccoli

I am a new veg gower, we have just started a small patch in our garden to grow with the children.

We have just eaten our first crop pf psb. It was lovely but, i have just found this site and theres a thread about 'pinching out the tops', sorry but dont know what this means?? can anyone enlighten me as i am just about to plant the next crop??

Thanks

Hi

Err, two things, it's rather late for PSB (are you sure you are eating it?) and you don't pinch out the tops of it. You pinch out the tops of broad beans and climbing beans and some other bits, but not PSB.
    Last edited by womble; 25-05-2010, 07:12 AM.
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

The only pinching out you do with PSB is when it is ready for picking and and eating if you keep picking it will keep providing enjoy it i do....jacob
      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

My PSB was late this year and I've probably only got about half a meal left on it now. Been eating it for about a month now and it's been really good. OH is amazed that I've already sown seeds for next year as I think he assumes everything grows in a matter of days and is ready to eat!

Re pinching out the tops, I have found that when you eat the main stem bit you do tend to get more side shoots coming but that could just be coincidence.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
          Err, two things, it's rather late for PSB (are you sure you are eating it?) and you don't pinch out the tops of it. You pinch out the tops of broad beans and climbing beans and some other bits, but not PSB.
          The PSB at our lotty is still going great guns. I don't have any myself but the plots either side are over run and both told me to help myself as they can't eat it quick enough!

Comment

thanks for the replies, need all the help I can get!! its all a little daunting at first, must say, we had bundles of psb had to give it away to friend and family too!! that was after leaving enough for our family of five to feed us a couple of times per week for a few weeks, i was rather pleased with myself, i must have got muddled with the pinching on another thread maybe?? so when i plant the new little psb's into their beds and they begin to grow, once the main head is ready am i correct in thinking that its best to snip that off and i may get lots of side stems? because i did nothing to them last time, just weeded and watered, weeded and watered/??!!/?

Comment

Originally posted by Noodles View Post
              The PSB at our lotty is still going great guns. I don't have any myself but the plots either side are over run and both told me to help myself as they can't eat it quick enough!
              Really? Very late then, but I suppose the weather was cold later than normal, mines been gone for a few weeks though.
              Jealousy rears it ugly head.
              Originally posted by newgrower1 View Post
              thanks for the replies, need all the help I can get!! its all a little daunting at first, must say, we had bundles of psb had to give it away to friend and family too!! that was after leaving enough for our family of five to feed us a couple of times per week for a few weeks, i was rather pleased with myself, i must have got muddled with the pinching on another thread maybe?? so when i plant the new little psb's into their beds and they begin to grow, once the main head is ready am i correct in thinking that its best to snip that off and i may get lots of side stems? because i did nothing to them last time, just weeded and watered, weeded and watered/??!!/?
              Once the main head grows you eat it, presumably you must have done that last time? Otherwise it would just have flowered.
              "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

I intend to plant my plants for eating next year out in their final bed in late June / early July although I know some people who do it earlier. Last year it was nearer the end of July but I think most of the lateness has been down to the cold winter.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Surely it depends on what variety you're growing as to whether or not it's late! You can crop all year round, in theory. I think it's Unwins that do a 4-pack of different seeds. I've got some growing that should be ready in June.

Comment

Can I sow purple brocolli for later this year?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Normal PSB crops in spring from a sowing about a year before however there are some seed companies which are selling sprouting types which will crop in a single season. Never tried them myself but it could be worth a try if you're desperate for some. Personally I've got enough beans, courgettes etc to be eating in the summer / autumn without brassicas so phase most of mine for winter / spring as it suits me better

Comment

I have some going strongly, I sowed in march, says on packet, crop sept/oct. Its called Mr Fothergills sprouting summer purple. First time of growing it, so not sure what to do, can I cut it and will it resprout?
                        Save Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock. Coma and Painted Lady butterflies. Dont cut stinging nettles in summer.
                        Only cut nettles grown in the shade.

Comment

Found the packet.

Rudolph - sow Mar-June, harvest Nov-Feb.
                          Red Arrow - sow Mar-May harvest Feb-Mar
                          Redhead - sow May-Jun harvest Mar-Apr
                          Summer Purple - sow Jan-Mar harvest Jun-oct.

And I'm growing another one called Santee to harvest from June to October.
                          Last edited by Patchninja; 26-05-2010, 01:09 PM. Reason: santee too

Comment

Mine is finished now so I pulled it up yesterday - although if you have the space to spare the flowers are quite nice. Already got the seedlings for next year's crop on the go on the windowsill - delicious!

Comment

This thread is very usefull.I am growing PSB for the first time this year,started in March on a windowsill and plants have been in the ground for at least 6 weeks now and about a foot high.I think it is Rudolph.since then i got the summer PSB to make use of the limed bed but it is still tiny and in ground already.Does it need any special care i.e fertlizer or netting?
                              goddess

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X