Strawberries, runners not flowers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries, runners not flowers

I'm growing strawberries for the first time this year. They're all runners from the same variety.

I've noticed some of my strawberry plants have flowers right now, but others don't and they have runners. Is that normal? Will those plants produce flowers? Should I cut the runners off?

I'm pretty sure that removing the runners encourages the growth of buds, but you could let them run for a small time if you wish to have more plants.

When the runners have a few leaves, just pop the base of them into the surrounding compost/or small pot of compost if you wish to plant elsewhere and wait for it to take.

Once it's rooted and established snip it as close to the original plant as possible and move the baby plant to it's new home.

I did this last year with my main 3 plants and now have 14 extra plants in total.
    Didn't get much of a crop as all the efforts went into the runners, but this year I have counted no less than 17 buds from 4 plants.

If you want the extra plants, but also want some fruits this year - just let one do the running and trim the runners off the others, and rotate each season/year to ensure you are not exhausting the plants.

I'm still a novice at these things, and would wait until someone with a little more experience in these areas can assist or confirm what I have said.

Good luck

Comment

Personally I wouldn't let them run unless they're well established. If they're quick ickle then maybe remove the runners, otherwise - what sheena said

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X