Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potting on Courgettes and Tomatoes

Hello Grapes!

My courgettes and tomatoes seem to be doing nicely - in fact, the courgettes are doing so nicely, I am thinking that I really need to pot them on - they all have a root starting to come through the bottom of the (3 inch) pot.

Can anyone advise what size pot I should transplant them in to? Should this be the final pot, or a larger interim one? I would rather go for an interim one if a subsequent re-potting wouldn't hurt them, as I only really have room for one large pot on my balcony, and I don't want to put all my eggs into one basket just yet! Or should I leave them alone for now? Or did I just plant the seeds in too small a pot?

Also, I think I will leave the toms as they are for a little while longer, until they have some well developed true leaves. Does that sound right? I have attached photos for reference.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

You don't want to go up too large, as if the compost goes sour it'll stink (so I've found out from these forums). I've gone from 3" -> 7" - pretty much ready to pot on my tomatoes now, so the next size I'll go up to is the sankey tomoato pots (not sure of their size -- actually just checked on google, and their 9" pots).

Comment

Both the toms and courgettes can wait a bit longer in those pots, until they develop a few more true leaves. When you pot up the toms you can plant them a bit deeper than they are now as they will develop roots from the stem. I usually put them into 5" pots or a bit bigger before their final pot.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I'd wait a while before potting on let them get a bit more established with a few more true leaves

Comment

The courgettes should be okay to stay in the three inch pots until they have 4 true leaves, at which point they can be planted out into either their larger pots or into the ground, whichever you are using. I start all my courgettes like this and never have a problem.
          The tomatoes are the same - they can be grown in three inch pots until they are ready to plant in their final pots, growbags or ground - again, this is what I do - one plant per pot.
          Last edited by sewer rat; 14-04-2010, 04:11 PM.
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Balcony gardener, the plants look fairly OK to me but be careful not to over water as the soil in the tomato pots looks a little on the wet side. Good luck.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will leave them where they are for a while longer, until they have more leaves.

Originally posted by bramble View Post
              be careful not to over water as the soil in the tomato pots looks a little on the wet side.
              Thanks for this, Bramble - I had been worrying about this!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X