Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots and Beetroot

Hi,

I have just planted some baby carrot seeds and baby beetroot seeds in to big module trays.

Should they be kept indoors to germinate or is outdoors ok at this time of year?

If indoors, they would have to be in my east/south-east facing porch as that is the only space I have at the moment and most other plants have got too hot and a bit mouldy in there so am a bit reluctant to use it for anything other than fruit-type veg.

Any advice welcomed. Thanks.

It depends where you are: please put your location into your profile! I sowed beetroot seeds a fortnight ago, on the lotty. They probably won't like your porch.

Carrots shouldn't be sown in modules as they get stunted and tend to fork. Sow them direct in the soil, or into something taller like loo rolls or kitchen paper innerds.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Coventy, W Midlands. Will add it to my profile shortly.

They are baby carrots and they are in the large module trays that are about 3 inches deep...It was recommended in a book I have (which so far seems to have a few things wrong!!) to sow them in module trays.

Shall I leave them where they are to germinate and then move them once there are a couple of leaves? Or take them out tomorrow?

Comment

Which book is that?

Comment

Crops in Pots. Its quite a user-friendly book with lots of inspirational container projects and pictures, I really like it.

But it doesnt give much specific information on varieties and also there have been a few things which havent really worked out quite right...(or at least, not for me!)

Comment

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't sow carrots with any intention of moving them at a later date. My paris market (stumpy round ones) go straight into the appropriate container... I would find it too fiddly to move them.
            pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ok, thank you for the advice, I will remove them from the pots and put them in to a large container.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X