Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to use fleece with asparagus emerging.....????

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to use fleece with asparagus emerging.....????

I have put some fleece over my emerging asparagus shoots. Trouble is it will blow away any second now so I have pegged it down with canes through the fleece and a few bricks. Now I'm thinking - should I have allowed a little growing room for my poor asparagus spears - I don't want them to turn round and go back in! How do I use the fleece so it doesn't blow away?
    Last edited by zazen999; 05-04-2010, 01:17 PM.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

How tall are they at the moment? I was thinking along the lines of old hanging baskets. Cover with fleece and invert over asparagus.

Comment

Bless the little shoots - they are only peeking through the soil - half an inch max. It's just that the fleece is pegged down quite tight - why do I listen to other people and go along with their bad ideas?

Comment

Does asparagus need fleece then? I've not had much luck so mine never came through, but I wouldn't think to fleece something like that, it comes through when it is ready.

Comment

I only fleeced them because we are still getting frosts and I am so keen on my asparagus I was doing anything I could think of to help them along. Maybe I'm fussing too much?

Comment

I don't know hon - I'd have to do some research before deciding either way to be honest.

Are there any asparagus experts on here at all? I'll change the title to Asparagus and fleece to try and attract them in shall I????

Comment

Thanks Zazen - you know how to look after us!

Comment

No problem; lets hope you get someone in to help.

Comment

Quick update - fleece lifted today - spears a lot taller and bending over so the fleece was taken off and a cloche placed over instead. Not having my precious asparagus spears hurt like that!! So fleece is great in theory, but difficult in practice without getting blown away if fitted loosely enough for growing purposes!

Comment

how about straw under the fleece??
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Good idea Nicos - I'd like to find a local source of the odd bale of straw - then I could recycle onto the strawberry beds after the asparagus! It looks like I will have a half dozen purple spears in a week or so!! Yum yum!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X