Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenhouse base?

Hi All,

I am planning to build a base for my freecycle greenhouse this weekend.

It is a good size 4x2.5m I was thinking of making a frame out of wood for the base and filling it with concrete for the greenhouse to sit on.

Question is, is this ok or is there a better way????

Mandy

The only problem I would think with wood is that it will eventually rot. Bricks or breezeblocks were recommended to me but I have yet to get round to doing the deed! Good luck and quite sure someone more experienced will be along shortly!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

hi mandy
      glad you screamed loud enough to get your greenhouse
      a concrete base is fine make it about 6in high by4in wide and put some threaded bar [bent L shaped every 2ft] then you can drill the wood base and bolt it in position when your ready
      snuffy

Comment

Hi Mandy
        I have recently had a greenhouse so I looked into this. The info I received from the supplier was not to have a solid base. The reason being that water will tend to pool on the floor making it slippy. They suggested using large heavy paving slabs and sitting them on sharp sand but not concreting them in. That way the water seeps through the gaps. Anyway, I did this and I am really pleased with the results. Also I managed to pick up the slabs for £25 so a good result!
        Jools

Comment

Good advice there Jools but how is the greenhouse secured to stop it blowing away?
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

I did exactly as Mandy intends to do and I've had no problems, I think the base must be on a little bit of a slope (not noticeable) because water does drain away. its not bolted down although I intend to do this a some point

Comment

My greenhouse is bolted down to the slabs. Don't think it's going anywhere fast!
              Jools

Comment

How do you bolt it to slabs? Sorry for being thick but this sounds like the ideal way for me to do mine as I want soil in there and have some slabs sitting looking lonely!
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Mine greenhouse is a brick base, but I've gone for a gravel floor on membrane and sand. I was worried about pooling water but this works fine.
                  ~
                  Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Shirley,
                    I didn't do it as I had a man come in to do it for me. But there is an instructions booklet and I'm sure there were some gizmos left to do the job. I'll have a look and get back to you.
                    Jools

Comment

Hi All,

Lots of good advice, I had not thought about pools of water though!!

Slab sound good but the ground is uneven and on a bit of a slope, so I thought concrete might level it a bit?

I can probably get slabs cheap from the builders yard by me, concrete could be very expensiive...................

Let you know how I get on, Mandy

Comment

I used old sleepers off t'railway.
                        Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                        Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                        I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Mandy,

My GH base is slabs. OH dug out the ground to near level, had to use bricks as a retaining wall at one end as our ground slopes away. Filled in with soil topped off with sand and laid the slabs as a base. Our GH is bolted on with special bolts bought from B&Q. We have had some horrendous gales but no movement of the greenhouse. Also used this in our last house on the GH and never had any trouble.

Hope this helps
                          Janice

Comment

Both of mine are on breeze block bases with soil borders & I don't have any problems. My old greednhouse was on slabs and i found that to be a real problem as it was constantly damp in there as it couldn't drain away, thats why I went for soil this time the soil wicks it away.

Also I top my blocks off with some 4"x2" tanalised and fix this with frame fixings about 6" long and then just fasten the greenhouse doen to the wood. This acts as a thermal break and gices me a bit ogf extra headroom but it means I have a step in to the house.
                            ntg
                            Never be afraid to try something new.
                            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                            ==================================================

Comment

Hi Mandy
                              Sorry I haven't got back to you on the thingies you use to fix the greenhouse to the floor. I have had sick kids in the house since last Tuesday. I now have sick kids and a sick husband. Aaaaagh! Have you managed to sort it out?
                              Jools

Comment

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X