X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Leeks

Have now, thanks

Hi

Discovered today, that what I thought was a full packet of Mammoth, only had one seed - where the rest have gone I do not know. I have some Mussleburgh, so am looking for any other type.

Have quite a few different veg, some flower and herb seeds to swap, or if I haven't anything you'd like, will send SAE.

thanks Elsie x
    Last edited by elsie-scot; 18-03-2010, 09:30 PM.
    Elsie

I have some you are welcome to. PM awaiting you!

perkin
    come visit a garden
    or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

G'Day Elsie!

Greetings from Down Under!

I can offer you seeds on an unusual leek that I have grown out for more than 30 years and never once have I needed to sow seeds. It has done it all itself and they are fabulous!

These leeks have a bulb at the base and grow to the thickness of a crayon and when you feel like eating some or using some to flavor soups, casseroles, goulashes or other dishes simply scrape away the soil and cut the 'spear' (as in asparagus) just above the bulb. You will be amazed how quickly another leek will grow. Propagation is either by seed or when the plant dies down replanting the many bulblets that will have formed around the 'mother' bulb. Once you have these leeks you will never be without them. And, of course, like many other herbs and vegetables, if any of the seeds fall to the ground they will germinate and then begin a new life cycle. Young seedlings can be transplanted to better spots or shared with other gardening friends. They will love you for sharing! Apart from keeping the weeds at bay (which are the enemy of all desirable plants) there is no work with these Cut-and-Come-Again leeks!

Let me know if you want to give this leek a try and I'll get seeds off to you. I have just harvested fresh seeds so have plenty for any grapes who might be interested.

Cheers.

Janek
      Happiness is being with the love of your life. If you can't have that, then an unlimited supply of well-rotted manure is a pretty close second!

Comment

Hi Janek, have been cheeky and pm'd you re: your unusual cut 'n' come again leeks!

Comment

G'Day Torreya!

Not a problem. I like people who show initiative! I have thousands of seeds so happy to spread them around, and apart from the volunteer tomatoes each year this is the only vegetable I grow that requires next to no work. And, being a vegetable that takes the cold weather in its stride it should take to British gardens like a duck to water!

Cheers.

Janek
          Happiness is being with the love of your life. If you can't have that, then an unlimited supply of well-rotted manure is a pretty close second!

Comment

Have pm'd you also Janek. They sound quite like Welsh onions, but would like to give them a go.

Comment

I've PM'ed you Wollyanna. Your seeds will soon be on their way.

Comment

Did you get my PM Janek?
                Elsie

Comment

PM incoming to you too Janek.

Elsie - I have some Autum Giant leek seeds if you'd like some ?

Comment

have pmd you.. in regards to your leeks.
                    totally mad on growing veg and keeping bantams!!!!

Comment

Yes, Elsie-scot, PM received. I'm working on it.

Yeti, I love your avatar. I have enough seeds to supply half the universe. By the time the other half ask I'll have the next crop of seeds, so they'll get them then!

Comment

Don't be shy, guys! I have thousands of seeds so keep those requests rolling in! Even if you have nothing to swap let that not put you off. Life's too short not to grow out this fantastic leek variety! There are hardly any no-work veggies around but this one must come close to winning the championship! No-work, no-time yet a great crop of leeks! What could be a better option to grow?

When you google leek wikipedia etc the results give the definition that a leek is a thing that produces bulblets, yet commercial breeders have produced varieties that don't produce bulblets. This is because commercial growers want to harvest mechanically so non-bulbing leeks is all they are interested in. To them, starting new plants with bulblets is more work so they aren't interested. They want to start them from seeds, so the seedlings can be easily transplanted out.

For home gardeners, the situation is totally different. Our focus is geared to ease of cultivation and flavour. This leek is a winner in both categories. Grow it and enjoy it! You won't be sorry you made the effort!

Cheers.

Janek

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                          PM incoming to you too Janek.

Elsie - I have some Autum Giant leek seeds if you'd like some ?
                          thanks for the offer, but I now have some promised to me
                          Elsie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X