perfect container for parsnips?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• perfect container for parsnips?

I'm going to have trouble filling a bed ready for parsnips, so would like to have a go at growing them in containers of some sort...

any suggestions that will allow them to grow ok? Would a bag of compast with a few drainage hole be ok? I'm not sure that the cost of the compost will be justified with the amount we will get back, but it would be nice for the children to see them growing (and I want to send them out on christmas morning to pull some up for christmas dinner ) We do like parsnips here and have them a couple of times a week. I'd love to grow enough for a family of four, would that be possible in pots?

They do better in open ground, but if you have a good deep pot (long tom) or something similar you should get a few good sized ones.

Comment

I'm using a tall strawberry planter. Did some last year and got small ones (started them very late) but they were shaped okay so fingers crossed for giant ones this time

Comment

Parsnips in containers!? It would have to be deep, like an old plastic dustbin and plant late and close together.
        My 2014 No Dig Allotment
        My 2013 No Dig Allotment
        My 2012 No Dig Allotment
        My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

I grow mine in a yellow builders mortar tub its 40 by 30 inch then around 20 inch high, they come up on ebay from time to time.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

If you have any decent size Landscaping companies near you, ask them if they have any 'tree buckets' they're made of recycled plastic and come in different sizes. Most companies just throw them away!

They have two handles and are similar to 'Tub-trugs' but thicker and not flexible. They have the advantage of having drainage holes in the bottom. I have a variety ranging from 30 to around 95 Litres in size, and they are great for growing just about anything. So far I've grown Potatoes and Carrots successfully in them, and am planning Parsnips this year too.

I will post a picture later if I remember.
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I have only a small garden therefore have never attempted root veg. I have got a bit tired of growing the usual stuff ie toms and cucumbers. I have been thinking about parsnips and am wondering if sections of drainpipe plugged into containers may be a way of giving them more depth. 6" ones are good enough for me so why do they need so much room to grow?

Comment

These:

Came from one of these: http://dobies.hostserver1.co.uk/im/pd/SUSTR7899_3.jpg

I think I sowed them about July time and we had them for Christmas dinner. I'm going to start a little earlier this time so they have more time to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by tamsin View Post
                  These:

I think I sowed them about July time and we had them for Christmas dinner. I'm going to start a little earlier this time so they have more time to grow.
                  Whoops! I can now see clearly

Comment

I grow them successfully in flower buckets (the taller size) but I do stand them on soil so the tap roots can go down through the drain holes. Works OK for me and it means that I'm not wasting space on the plot with something that might or might not germinate.

Comment

I'm going to try wine boxes this year, after reading about cereal boxes on another thread.
                      I don't eat cereals.
                      Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

My friend grows lovely parsnips in an old bath at her allotment. What were the cereal boxes Rocketron? I've tried the S button, but can't find anything.
                        Last edited by Florence Fennel; 08-03-2010, 08:23 AM.
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

lots of ideas to try there, thank you

I'll have a search for a landscaping company, might be handy for potatoes too, I was going to grow them in the front garden, but the oh thinks it will look tacky (or cacker like in his words ) I haven't got room in the ground at the back.

I definately want to grow them, they are a favourite in this household

Comment

Originally posted by tamsin View Post
                            These:

they look lovely not bad for a strawberry planter!

Comment

Originally posted by leah View Post
                              lots of ideas to try there, thank you

I'll have a search for a landscaping company, might be handy for potatoes too, I was going to grow them in the front garden, look tacky (or cacker like in his words ) I haven't got room in the ground at the back.

I definately want to grow them, they are a favourite in this household
                              I ran out of space in the back garden too Leah, plus I am hampered light wise because of my neighbours trees so we are doing them in the FRONT garden in large green tubs. My OH just laughs at me and lets me get on with it. After all he enjoys the fruits of my labours, especially new potatoes. Having said that he definitely was not impressed when I said I would grow them in the front border so the compromise was the tubs.
                              Last edited by Sanjo; 08-03-2010, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X