Sauvignon Grapes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sauvignon Grapes

What do people think of sauvignon grapes for growing in the UK? Just wondered because I saw them at Woolies.

No idea Simon!
    You could always make wine from them if not fit for the table! ( or am I wrong there??)
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

How long do grapevines take to start producing grapes then?
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

We brought 3 back from Normandy after tasting them in a big nursery. They were growing (deliberately planted) in a hedge and were wonderful, hence our purchase.

Comment

I have just bought one to plant, if we do not get any fruit the leaves will be used to make wine.

Comment

You can stuff the vine leaves too: a la Dolmades?
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Cabernet Sauvignon in my opinion needs a lot of sun-shine and heat to ripen them. Doubt it would even set fruit outside in this country except maybe in the South. If your looking for a pure vinifera to produce wine outside then probably Chardonnay or the various German varieties such as Gold Riesling or Gewürztraminer since your in England. Its probably safer to go with a hybrid variety or an American variety than a true vinifera unless you live in the South - I think its below Bath the recommended out door grape growing region.

Your not supposed to crop grapes until 3 years after planting, removing fruit until the third year, cropping them too early may and probably will weaken the grapes and produce fewer grapes further down the line.

Grape importation from the continent in my opinion brings the risk of introducing the grape phylloxera which hasn't yet been established in Britain. This is the primary reason that grapes are grafted onto a resistant root stock.

Hope this helps
              Last edited by il_cacciatore; 18-02-2007, 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling ;)

Comment

I am aware of the disease but the plants are all grafted on resistant root stocks and came with EU plant passports. The company that supplied the garden centre we purchased from all so supply Wyvale amongst others so we consider that an acceptable risk.

A guy on our alllotments gets his couple of vines to ripen outside, they are indeed chardonnay types.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I won't bother with Sauvignon and shall stick with a dutch variety I have called Van der Vroege.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X