Myrtle appears to be broody...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myrtle appears to be broody...

Her runny nose on Thursday night had cleared up Friday.
    She was reluctant to leave the coop Friday, reluctant to go into the run unless I put her there (food and water in run) eating and drinking well otherwise, refused to perch, insisted on the nest box. I left her to it, thinking she might still have a bit of a cold.

Saturday, wouldn't leave the nest box. Resting on her breast with tail up and all feathers puffed out and making soft whickering cooing noises. Until I turfed her out, when she was very bad tempered and made ugly squawking noises. She belted into the run for pellets and water and then ran like the clappers across the garden to the other girls.

As soon as my back was turned she returned to the nest box. I lifted her out half a dozen times throughout the day and the minx returned every time. I took the nest box away and she made a nest in the shavings

This morning she is looking after one of the other girl's eggs. How did Maude or Madge get their egg into the nest box with Madam Myrtle refusing to leave it?

She hasn't read the books. 28 weeks old Orpington Bantams are NOT supposed to get broody
    Last edited by Eco-Chic; 13-12-2009, 01:26 PM.
    If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

I've got a persistently broody youngster at the moment. She only laid for about 5 weeks then went broody back at the beginning of November, and is still broody now. I keep chucking her out, she keeps getting back in. Ho hum.

Comment

I thought one of my old ISA's had went broody yesterday, but today she's left the nest and mingled with the rest.
      Strange things chooks!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Having shifted the nest box into the run, madam Myrtle simply made a nest in the coop. I decided to turf her out, Myrtle weren't having any of it and in the end I rolled her from the back to the front and lifted her out. Spent a few minutes dusting her off, she ate and drank a bit, joined the girls and was back scampering up the ramp before I'd got to the gate

Tonight, she has made a nest at the front of the coop in the shavings. Serves her right if Maude and Madge turn around and poop on her, and if she gets a draft up her butt.

Finks to self, I is not gonna be defeated by a wily chook. Early in the morning I am going to chuck Myrtle out and sweep all the shavings out and thoroughly spray with Smite. Bet she won't want to roll about in that

Comment

I've got a broody at the moment too
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Evicted Myrtle from the coop and shut the pop hole, then watched her happily run over to the others to kick dirt and peck. Sorted I thought!

Went out some time later to see what I could see and what I could see was two chooks not three. WTF is Myrtle?

Almost an hour calling, looking, delving through the undergrowth, the overgrowth and assorted pieces of junk (raw materials for raised beds, fruit cages etc.), risking life and limbs on fallen leaves making the ground treacherous, checking out the next door gardens over the fences. No bloody Myrtle!

No feathers floating about so I know that fox, dogs, cats haven't wreaked a terrible death on her. She can't possibly have flown over the wall into the park can she? It's over 8 feet high.

I'm feeling quite sick at that point, but figure out she must be hiding and it'll soon be dark and she'll do the sensible thing and put herself to bed won't she?

Will she heck! Two GOOD chooks on the perch but still no Myrtle. Kept calling her, rattling corn in dish, mealworms in dish, waving warmed mashed potato and broccoli in the chill evening air, and finally heard the smallest sound. Bloody minx was in the furthest corner of the run under the coop and resisted hard not to be dragged out from where she was brooding in a scraped out little hollow in the wet earth. I have to say it took all my willpower to refrain from dropkicking her into the coop

Their first mash experience was fun though. Talk about plunging in. They were wearing as much as they were eating for a while

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X