50g/2oz/ 1/4 cup fenugreek powder
    50g/2oz/ 1/4 cup mustard powder
    150g/5oz/ 3/4 cup chilli powder
    15ml/1tbsp ground turmeric
    600ml/1 pint/ 2 1/2 cups mustard oil
    5ml/1 tsp asafoetida
    25g/1oz yellow mustard seeds, crushed

Directions
    1. Place the limes in a large sterilized jar or glass bowl. Add the salt and toss with the limes. Cover and leave in a warm place for 1-2 weeks, until they become soft and dull brown in colour.
    2. Mix the fenugreek, mustard powder, chilli powder and turmeric and add to the limes. Cover and leave to rest in a warm place for a further 2-3 days.
    3. Heat the oil and fry the asafoetida and mustard seeds. When the oil reaches smoking point, pour it over the limes. Mix well. Cover and leave in a warm place for 1 week before serving.

Notes:
    All of the spices can be found in a continental food shop, the most difficult in my experience are the asafoetida and mustard oil.
    Consider the size of the lime lumps you want in the finished chutney when you start and cut to this size, some people dont like this with large wedges.
    The asafoetida and mustard oil smell pretty disgusting, but this is not apparent in the finished chutney.
    It may require a little more than 1 week to properly infuse. I was disappointed when i first made this that it is not particularly nice when first made, but matures excellently. I currently have a jar about 8 months old that is absolutely fantastic!
    Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
    Snadger - Director of Poetry
    RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
    Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
    piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

This sounds interesting but how hot is it Ollie? Can you reduce the chilli to make it a little milder?
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

The first batch of this I made wasn't too hot, but I think I may have used old chilli powder because the latest batch is very fiery.
      I'm sure you could reduce the chili, I would think it will taste much the same regardless of most of the quantities.
      You can also make it with lemons instead which would be cheaper.
      Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support

Comment

Well I took my colleague's advice and made some lemon pickle to this recipe.
        Not sure I was too festidious with the quantities because it was totally drowned in oil, so I left it for a couple of days and then drained the excess oil off.
        It is now in 5 jars ready to be distributed at Christmas. Will report back how good (/bad) it tasted.

Comment

Ollie - a word to the wise here - you shouldn't be too fastidious to check stuff before you give it away - we did this already with the crunchie thread!
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
            Ollie - a word to the wise here - you shouldn't be too fastidious to check stuff before you give it away - we did this already with the crunchie thread!
            I'll have you know I have a reputation to maintain!

Comment

Precisely, my dear Watson!
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X