Different ideas for PLUMS?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different ideas for PLUMS?

So far I have had about 20lbs of plums off my neighbours tree. I've made 4 varieties of jam/jelly, 2 varieties of chutney and 3 large jars of plum brandy are doing what they do for a few months.
    Does anyone have any interesting/different/not boring recipies I can try with the constant bag(s) brimming with plums that keep landing on my doorstep?
    I'll try anything!
    What is this life, if full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare
    . . .[/I][/I]

It's not unusual but me mum made a plum and rhubarb crumble once. Beaut. Sorry that's all I got.

Comment

Freeze them and use for pies, crumbles etc in winter. I blanch mine in boiling water for a few seconds, remove the skins and de-stone them before freezing. You could also stew them down and then puree to use as sauce for topping ice-cream.

Comment

Plums make wonderful wine. If you mix them with apples you get a red sparkling wine. Yum!

Comment

I faced a similar problem last week, LR.... plum jam, jelly jam, crumble, frozen (even tried eating a couple, have you tried that technique to get rid of them?) But what to do next other than lob them (gently!) at marauding cats lying in wait for birds that have nested in the hedge.... I'm keen on fruit with meat so used the rest to make a "BBQ sauce" with a mixture of fruit (mainly stoned/skinned plums and an apple) plus onion and garlic, olive oil, soy sauce and something to make it sticky (brown sugar/honey etc) - whiz to a thick sticky sauce and use as a marinade and sauce on the BBQ... Tried it yesterday and it was OK (compliments even!). I've frozen some so it will reappear and next time I think I'll make it even stickier... At least it got rid of the plums before they started sprouting strange white spores.... b.

Comment

Thanks bazza, that sounds like one to try -- the sauce sounds yummy! I would omit the garlic though as I am extremely allergic to it!!! Have eaten a few, but somehow they have lost their allure. . .
            Thanks to you other guys too, only prob is that no-one apart from me would eat the pies/crumble --- they are all sick of the sight of plums!!!
            Wine sounds good, but don't feel quite up to that at the moment. Good idea for next time we get a glut though.
            . . .[/I][/I]

Comment

Plum sauce?
              Chinese Plum Sauce - 203 - Recipezaar

I'm going to try this tomorrow

Comment

Sounds like the plum sauce I made last year, but I put a few chillies in mine.

Comment

Spiced plums?

Comment

We had a glut last year and I made fruit leather things and chewy sweeties (Jamie O recipe I think). They're sooo yummy and last for months. Dead handy for car journeys and the like.
                    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
                      We had a glut last year and I made fruit leather things and chewy sweeties (Jamie O recipe I think). They're sooo yummy and last for months. Dead handy for car journeys and the like.
                      Fruit leather things and chewy sweeties? Sounds a tad interesting.
                      Any recipe notes?
                      . . .[/I][/I]

Comment

I think Lord HFW of the realm does the leather thingy as well. If you can beg borrow or steal any of his books, I'm sure the recipe's are in there somewhere.
                        Bob Leponge
                        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X