Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beetroot

I think they will be ready soon.
    Do I have to cook them or are they peeled and eaten raw.

either, or
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've never tried them raw...I presume to peel and grate them???

I've got my first 3 in a pan simmering away for tonights supper- as we speak!!!
      YUM!!

If you've never cooked them before- wash off soil and break the stems at about2-3" long. Then simmer in a covered pan for about 20 mins-1/2 hr depending on size. ( no salt) To test if they are ready- remove the largest from pan and spike with a sharp knife- should go in easily.
      Try not to damage the skin too much cos they'll bleed and then you lose the flavour.
      I leave mine to cool down in the water so they continue to cook for a little while longer- then the skinn just smudges off easily when cool- and you don't get scalded fingers!!!

How else do other peeps do theirs????
      Last edited by Nicos; 03-07-2009, 04:02 PM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Finely diced raw beetroot, cubes of feta cheese and crushed garlic. sprinkle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Delicious. You can roast them but they take a long time. best to do it at the golf all sized stage. Also good juiced. It's one of our main crops. Love it
        Cider, Vegetables and Sussex sustainability blogged at www.ciderhousepress.com

Comment

Some great ideas there

Comment

I do mine just like that Nicos, but chop them once cooled, add some mayo and cumin and mix up for a lovely side salad. Yummy.

Comment

had some last night, cubed, fried in a little olive oil and some balsamic vinegar - delish
              "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

I like to boil them whole (leave some stalk so all the red goodness doesn't leach out), then peel them, chop into large-ish cubes and roast them with olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper. Great warm but even better the next day with some chopped herbs added. Had that for my lunch today in fact.
                Last edited by LostGoddess; 03-07-2009, 04:31 PM.
                There is a war going on for your mind. If you are thinking you are winning.

Comment

Beetroot leaves are tasty too! You can boil/steam lightly, or stir-fry with garlic. Colour bleeds a bit pinky but the leaves taste spinachy to me! And if you wont eat 'em my chooks will!

Comment

There are so many different ways to enjoy Beetroot I find it hard to understand why we only ever had them pickled as a kid. My parents were greengrocers, what's more !
                    Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

What everyou do wear an apron and or bib, that juice dont arf stain..!!
                      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

With last years crop tried cooking some by the boiling method - so messy - and some by the roasting method: pick when small(ish), wrap in foil, pop into a baking tray and pop into a warm oven for at least an hour (you can cook them when cooking other things). When they are cooked, use the foil to peel the skin off them. You can (hopefully) peel off the skins without getting all your hands, surfaces etc etc red and messy. Use cooked veg in whatever way you like.

Comment

I know you can roast with skins, but I'm a bit worried by the earth and stuff hiding on skin. I peel mine raw with veg peeler, chop into wedges, season with salt and pepper, add herbs like thyme, a trickle of olive oil, and a blob of honey. Wrap into a foil parcel and pop in oven when you're cooking other stuff. Leave for about an hour.

I had it with a roast veg cous-cous salad and it was fab! It's also good with some mixed salad leaves (with rocket).

Comment

Got a couple simmering in a pan

Comment

I love beetroot, eat it raw and cooked. Am having it with feta cheese tonight. I've also made a pasta sauce with it, puree cooked with creme fraiche and a bit of stock. The kids love it and its the most amazing colour, you have to see to believe! Going to try it next in a cake recipe, apparently you can just substitute for carrot!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X