Asparagus/Potatoes - How Big a Bed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus/Potatoes - How Big a Bed?

I'm trying to plan the beds for new lottie and I would like a permanent Asparagus bed the trouble is all the catalogues just say to prepar a bed in advance, they don't say how big, so how big a bed will I need for ten crowns?

Also potatoes of various varieties, how big a bed will I need, I've ordered 20 tuber packs - 2 varieties of first earlies, 2 second earlies, 1 early main and 2 late main

As you can tell from this post maths is not my strong point, which is a pity really as I work in accounts

Thanks everso.
    Bex

I've been looking into an asparagus bed myself and the guide I used advised planting crowns 1 1/2 - 2 ft apart so I was going to make a bed 4ft wide by 11ft long or thereabouts.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kirsty
    Kirsty b xx

Comment

For Asparagus prepare the bed carefully first....as it will be in use for 20 years. Get all the weeds out and lots of manure.
      My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Is it worth having just one or two crowns? I don't have an allotment or a separate veg plot but I was wondering whether I could incorporate some asparagus into a flower bed. I have just carved out a new flower bed so would like to put in a few veg as well & asparagus is my favourite.
        Jools

Comment

If you space your asparagus well apart, Bob Flowerdew recommends 1m then I think 1 or 2 crowns would be plenty. It will take a little while for them to come into full production but I highly recommend starting them off in a hotbed. Fresh horse manure covered with a layer of soil. If you've space in the flower bed it's a good idea, near highly scented plants which would mask the asparagus scent against asparagus beetle which can appear from May onwards. Don't harvest the 1st 2 years and only lightly the 3rd year. I find the hotbed method can save a year when waiting for them to be at least pencil thickness to start harvesting..

Comment

It is recommended that you have 10 crowns per person to supply plenty for the table. One or two crowns will give you only 3-5 tips at a time at best. You plants your crowns and takes your choice.

As mentioned above, clear EVERY perenial weed out of the intended plot and then add as much manure as you can and dig it in well. If you plant them in a 4` wide bed you will get three rows of crowns in at 18" spacings with the bonus that you will not need to tread on the bed.

The most important thing is to keep the bed clean of weeds and to top dress every year.

The hard work will be very well rewarded.

Comment

Thanks for your responses. On e-bay, you can buy three crowns, so this would be enough as its only really me int he family who is keen on asparagus. Never heard of a hot bed before but its seems straight forward so I'll give it a go. Many thanks
              Jools

Comment

Thanks everyone, I've ordered 10 crowns to be delivered in the spring, plenty of time to get the bed ready.
                Bex

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X