Mildewed Strawberries?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mildewed Strawberries?

The strawberries in my terracotta strawberry planter were doing really well. We've already had quite a lot to eat, and they tasted fine.

This morning, I went out to see which were ready for picking, and found loads of semi-ripe fruits covered in powdery grey mildew.

I've moved the pot well away from all other strawberry plants, and picked off and disposed of the mildewed fruit.

What in fruit's name is it, and how can I cure it?

Thanks

Jules
    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

It's Botritis or grey mould. Often happens in damp wet weather and where the air circulation is bad.

Treatment? Well they can be sprayed with a fungicide but I just watch mine like a hawk and take off anything that looks suspect DAILY.

If they are perpetual fruiting I would go over them with a fine tooth comb and remove any deseased fruit stems or leaves and then hope for the best. If they have finished fruiting chop off all the leaves and give them a good feed and they will be fine next year.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

a few of mine get botrytis too ... it's because I am lazy and haven't weeded out all the old brown leaves, and the plants are too close together.
      They should be about a foot apart
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Oh goodness!

Plants are never 2ft apart in a strawberry tub, so can't help that one. I have been out at first light this morning and removed grey/brown leaves and any fruit that didn't pass muster

I don't fancy spraying, but will hold that in reserve as a last measure. I used to be a very liberal sprayer until I used the wrong spray without checking properly what bottle I had grabbed. I killed a brand new honeysuckle, two well-established grapevines which were gifts from someone sadly missed now, two large Hidcote lavenders and a marguerite daisy.

Thanks muchly for all the invaluable help,

Jules
        Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X