Strawberries Whats the secret

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries Whats the secret

Sometimes my strawberries are sweet sometimes acidic.

Is there a trick to keeping them sweet, or is it just when there is a bit more sun and not as much rain.

Do people feed their strawbs when in fruit, or only before and after.

Thanks
    Sheila

Ripening is usually what effects the "sweetness" of a fruit,rather than what it's been fed.Fast forced fruit tends to have less taste than slower grown.Heat could have something to do with it too,I try to pick the softer fruit(older?) when its warm for optimum sweetness(works for me)

Comment

Think about grapes. Grapes are only fine for eating or making wine with when they're sweetest, full of sugars and that's because the sun has been on them for some time. Strawberries are exactly the same, the acidity turns to sugars when the fruits are exposed to heat, that also makes them go red. Feeding them - essentially, forcing them - will do nothing, they may put on plenty of growth but it wont turn the adics into sugars.
      TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Hi shiela , i have 16 different varieties this year , upon harvesting i have found that at least half are acidic tasting , the sweetest are the pegasus variety , ps i grow all mine ( about 60 plants ) in pots , some in garden some in greenhouse
        ray

Comment

Thanks everyone. I will leave the fruit on longer and stop feeding when in fruit.
          Sheila

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X