Florence fennel

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florence fennel

Having a go with some florence fennel this year. I have sewn in modules this week, after reading article in GYO. Just wondered if anyone grows it and what success they have with it? Any tips welcomed!
    "Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." Helen Keller

I tried Florence Fennel a couple of years ago and was quite disappointed with the results.
    The bulbs certainly didn't develope to the sort of size I was expecting and I had to pick 'em vey young or they'd just bolt.
    I've read since that they are quite fussy and will bolt for no apparent reason.
    Am having another go this year with some from a diffent seed producer, and they are being planted out from their modules next week.
    I'm on a different site now and the soil is much better than where I was, so fingers crossed.Good luck with yours.
    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Emmylou,

Florence fennel really needs to be grown as fast as possible during the summer months - It'll bolt as the slightest hint of cold weather.

Maybe keep some seeds for a June planting aswell.

J

Comment

Another one of those veg that benefits from a later sowing. Early sowings tend to bolt, but then the whole plant can be used when they are young and tender. Go luck and try another sowing in June/July.

Ian

Comment

Thats what you get when you follow advice from a magazine that comes out a month before the date it says on the front! I'll have to start and save my GYO magazine and not read it till the month it stateson the front!!
          I'll see how these go and sow some more in late June then. Thanks Grapes!
          "Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." Helen Keller

Comment

Fennel

I've grown it and it seems to do fine.I would recommend planting out under a cloche and sowing a few every week.It seems to be like lettuce,just right for about a week then bolting!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse
            • rary
              Reply to Chitchat thread #24
              by rary
              Today, 12:41 PM
            • rary
              Reply to Heated mat for Tom's and chillies
              by rary
              I use a mix of six scoops of compost three scoops of sand/grit and two scoops of perlite,the quantity is unimportant as long as the ratio is the same, if for seeds I use this mix, if I am potting on I add some blood, fish and bone, along with a small quantity of chicken manure pellets
              ​ though...
              Today, 12:28 PM
            • Florence Fennel
              Reply to Chitchat thread #24
              by Florence Fennel
              Today, 12:02 PM

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X