Cooking Fennel and Chard

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking Fennel and Chard

Just been given 3 large bulbs of fennel and a load of chard down the plot, by the administrator!

Have never tried it or cooked it before, so am steaming the chard (akin to cooking spinach) and roasting the fennel (with a little garlic), does this sound right?

I will let you know what we think and how it tastes later, but any quick replies if I'm doing anything wrong would be appreciated!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

I usually steam fennel and then put cheese sauce on it. I would imagine it would make a bake layered up with potatoes and onions and again cheese sauce or double cream.
    Last edited by Lesley Jay; 30-10-2006, 07:34 PM.
    [

Comment

Cheers LJ, kind of like Cauliflower cheese then? Think I'll try that another night this week with the other 2 bulbs!
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

Mmmm, roasted the fennel is quite strong, tho not too much, and texture is akin to wilted onions, as though they'd been just wilted in a little butter, nice! May have to try growing some ourselves!

Chard is ok, not sure if I'd grow it for itself, but if there was a recipe that used it and was good, then I may well try growing some!
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

I steam fennel then serve it hot with butter! nowt else needed! yum yum! DDL
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi, not sure what to do with the fennel but I'm a big fan of chard. I cut the stems from the leaves and cook them seperately as they take slightly longer. Try mixing the steamed leaves with some pasta done in olive oil with roast pine kernels or pumpkin seeds, really nice esp if you throw in some dried toms in olive oil. The stems work well on their own or fry them up in butter with carrots, mange tout, sliced khol rabi or whatever you fancy.

Comment

Nice recipe for the chard leaves CC.

Mrs D - I grow quite alot of chard as it looks quite good and grows quite easily! especially the Rainbow Chard. Unfortunately I am not a great fan of the stalks, but do use alot of young leaves in soup (which I make quite alot of). I also used some very young leaves in salad this summer instead of my spinach which bolted. Let us know how you get on.
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Interesting stuff my rainbow chard done really well this year but was a bit like mrs dobby, not sure what to do with it!!

Think will try adding to the soups i am in process of making, anyone got a good chard soup recipe???

Comment

Thanks for the ideas and inspiration all! Think I may try adding a bit of chard to the pumpkin and pork bisque tonight and some more to the pumpkin chilli later this week! Will let you know how we get on!
                  Blessings
                  Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Sometimes its trial and error learning what to do with veggies you have not normally been able to buy, good fun too!!!

Comment

Mrs D you do eat some nice things - can I come to dinner! Pumpkin and pork bisque sounds great - can you post the recipe?
                      ~
                      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

As requested Jennie, and you'd be welcome to dinner anytime you can make it, mind you, its a bit of trek from Shetland!

Mrs Dobbys Pork and Pumpkin Bisque

Ingredients
                        1lb (454g)Pork diced
                        1lb (454g) fresh diced Pumpkin
                        1 large Onion (medium chopped)
                        2 large Leeks (sliced)
                        1 tin chopped Tomatoes
                        2 tablespoons Sugar
                        Garlic (to taste)
                        Mixed Herbs
                        Salt and Black Pepper
                        Cornflour (to thicken as required)

Method
                        1) Brown meat in a little oil, drain and roll in seasoned flour.

2) Fry onions until golden, then add leeks, pumpkin, carrots and tin chopped tomatoes.

3) Add pork back into pan, season with mixed herbs (1 teaspoon), 2 cloves crushed garlic (or to taste), salt and freshly ground black pepper.

4) Add 2 tablespoons sugar (or to taste, depending how sweet you wish the dish to be), top up with water and simmer for 30-45 mins, or until the Pumpkin and other vegetables have become tender.

5) Mix a little cornflour with water and add to simmering bisque to thicken, according to how you like it (I tend to leave it quite thin myself, but that's only personal preference)

6) Serve hot with boiled rice and fresh buttered crusty bread, delicious!

Hope you enjoy!

PS Jennie, should I add this to the Pumpkin recipies in the season to taste section?
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

My preferred method of cooking chard is to chop the stalks into approx inch long pieces and depending upon the leaf size roughly tear into good sized bits. Put into a colander and give a rinse under the tap, give the colander a good shake but don't worry too much about it still being a bit wet. Chuck the stalks in a pan over a medium heat with a lump of butter, sweat off for a few minutes and add the leaves, give a stir and continue to sweat for a few more minutes, et voila.

I've only tried cooking fennel once and made a right pigs ear of roasting it, well they say charcoal is good for the digestion
                          http://www.cowlane.org.uk

Comment

mmm pumkin bisque sounds great.

chard, just eat it as is, take off stalks and use in stock, put leaves in your sandwhiches salads etc.

love chard on its own, no need to cook.
                            Yo an' Bob
                            Walk lightly on the earth
                            take only what you need
                            give all you can
                            and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Chard leaves can be substituted for spinach in any recipe. I prefer chard to spinach. I love the robust earthy flavour.
                              The stalks can be eaten chopped and steamed along with it but you can steam them seperately and serve with hollandaise or melted butter as a starter.

Fennel works particularly well in a Pork Casserole.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X