carrots and beetroot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carrots and beetroot

as I am new to veg growing can anyone tell me when i should sow my beetroot and carrot seeds in my raised bed. I am in Scotland and don't know if it is too early to sow them.

I would sow them now! If they think it is too cold to grow, then they will wait until it isn't, but either way they take a while to germinate outdoors if its coolish so get them started.

Do make sure you only sow a few at a time. Some now, some in a few weeks and so on. Otherwise they will all be ready at once!
    Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

You can also start the beet off in module trays indoors, Pepper. That'll get them going quicker. Plant out the resulting plugs when they get bigger. That way they will stand a chance against slugs/birds eating the now shoots.
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

thankyou for your help

Comment

hi - here is a veg growing planner- set for Aberdeen frost dates, but can change to where you are
          Elsie

Comment

Not sure where you are in Scotland Pepper, but I've already planted my first batch of carrot and beetroot seeds and the seedlings have emerged already. I would definitely plant now!
            http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

I planted my carrots yesterday-still have to prepare the ground for beets.I spoke to my MIL last night and she asked me"aren't you a bit forward with your sowing?"

Comment

I'm in Aberdeen, sowed my first carrot seeds in a bucket outside two weeks ago, they are just popping their heads up. Yesterday at the allotment I noticed someone else sowing her beetroot, and she is by no means the first. That is in the city centre so we are in a heat island, but still, as long as you are not in a particularly damp/shady/frosty spot then you should be fine.
                There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Have sowed some of each today, thanks everyone for your help
                  Last edited by pepper; 13-04-2009, 08:16 PM.

Comment

I have sown my carrotts today as well.they have a fine meshing on the top so fingers crossed for this year, as i lost all but 1 from last year. but as a new starter i know realise it was because they were planted nuch to late and we think the carrot fly had a feast on them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X