sowed my carrots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sowed my carrots

I sowed my carrots today: some in pots on the patio, and some at lotty.

I have good free-draining soil which carrots like, but it also caps after rain (gets a hard crust) so seedlings often can't break through.

I make a drill with my trowel and water it. Then sprinkle carrot seed (not too thick, I hate thinning out) along it, and top with multi-purpose compost. You don't use much, but it really helps with germination.

I won't water again unless there is a prolonged drought, and I don't feed them.

When the leaves appear, I will cover with enviromesh or debris netting to keep the carrot root fly off Carrot Root Fly Grub
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

I have planted some carrots in a tub today called Parmex it says they are great for containers.

Comment

My maincrop carrots will get sown at the weekend, between rows of onion seedlings - if the weather stays dry enough! I have an enviromesh tunnel to go over them, and plenty of bran and slug pellets, but I will also try that compost trick, T_S - our clay soil tends to cap a bit.

I already have some Paris Market in the raised bed at home. I wanted to see if their stubby round roots would tolerate being sown in a gutter and then transplanted, but it's too early to tell yet. At least they haven't died or been eaten by slugs!

Comment

I have sown some Paris Market too, but haven't seen any signs of life so far, but the early nantes have been in for about 3 weeks and you can distinctly see the rows now.
        I also planted E.N. in a pot and they are under a big plastic cloche...now they are doing REALLY well!
        oooooo! I can't wait!
        My mind works like lightning, One brilliant flash and it is gone!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          I sowed my carrots today: some in pots on the patio, and some at lotty.

I have good free-draining soil which carrots like, but it also caps after rain (gets a hard crust) so seedlings often can't break through.

I make a drill with my trowel and water it. Then sprinkle carrot seed (not too thick, I hate thinning out) along it, and top with multi-purpose compost. You don't use much, but it really helps with germination.

I won't water again unless there is a prolonged drought, and I don't feed them.

When the leaves appear, I will cover with enviromesh or debris netting to keep the carrot root fly off Carrot Root Fly Grub

Good tip TS re - compost on top! Will give it a try, thanks

Comment

Inspired....by this post - I sowed carrots in pinches in my onion bed. about 3-4 seeds per pinch, the soil was tickled before I sowed them, and covered with a sand/coffee ground mix to stop the capping and so that I know where they are sown.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
              Inspired....by this post - I sowed carrots in pinches in my onion bed. about 3-4 seeds per pinch, the soil was tickled before I sowed them, and covered with a sand/coffee ground mix to stop the capping and so that I know where they are sown.
              I used yellow sand myself last year as it was all I had available at the time. I've got some used potting compost I may use this year as the sand formed a crust when it dried!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi there,

what does capping mean?

Comment

I guess capping is when the top layer of soil or sand gets compacted and forms a kind of skin.

The carrots I sowed in early March have not come up yet and the weed seedlings were annoying me so I hoe'd the whole lot and will try again under a plastic cloche.
                  The carrots I planted in tubs in the greenhouse are doing very well.
                  My 2014 No Dig Allotment
                  My 2013 No Dig Allotment
                  My 2012 No Dig Allotment
                  My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

Originally posted by Safhyre View Post
                    Hi there,

what does capping mean?
                    Probably why zazen added the coffee grounds to the sand....to stop it?

I've even marked my broad bean rows with a sprinkling of garden lime!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      Probably why zazen added the coffee grounds to the sand....to stop it?

I've even marked my broad bean rows with a sprinkling of garden lime!
                      Yup........

Comment

This year i followed a tip from a grape last year - made a "V" shaped little trench by inserting a spade and wiggling it a little bit along the row, filled the V with compost, sowed on top and covered with a little bit more compost. Hopefully the carrots won't fork as badly this year!
                        First lot are up this week after a long wait.
                        Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Safhyre View Post
                          what does capping mean?
                          See the first post ...
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My free seeds of Paris Market are doing well in a big tub in the greenhouse. I shall sow some main crop this weekend.
                            Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Have 5 tubs of carrots plante xmas time and they are about 2" high. Have a raised bed on the lottie 6' by 6' which was sown with carrots abot 4/5 weeks ago and they are just starting to show. They have a 3" high micromesh fence on three sides but have left the fourth side to do a final weeding before completely enclosing the sides with micoromesh.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X