Rhubarb flower?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb flower?

I know that you should remove the flower stalk from rhubarb to allow the energy to be directed to the production of fruiting stalks but..

How can I be sure it is a flower stalk?

I know it might seem a thicko question but this is the first year my rhubarb plants have done anything at all in the way of growing and I suspect my Glaskin's Perpetual is producing a flower stalk - it seems to be round instead of the normal sort of 'D' shape (if you get my meaning).

Also, what is the best way to remove it? I don't want to pull it out and damage the plant as we are really looking forward to our first harvest.

Cheers oh knowledgeable ones.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

If that's a thicko question then I'm a thicko times infinity because I didn't even know there was a flower stalk!

Watching this with interest.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

The flower will look like this.

Wait until you see that before you cut it off.
      Attached Files
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Rhubarb can bolt (flower) if it's thirsty: apply a mulch after watering well.

Infertile soil is another cause, so as the leaves are emerging apply a feed such as pelleted chicken manure.

Rhubarb can get progressively more prone to bolting as it matures, and the solution is to rejuvenate it by dividing plants every five years or so.
        Dig up the clump in autumn, after the leaves have died down, then use a spade to slice the crown into several sections, making sure each has a large bud.
        Mix compost or manure into the planting hole and plant the sections a few feet apart with the buds just above the surface.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The new shoots can look like flowers - and they are easy to confuse.
          Leave them until you are sure- won't take long- then remove them asap as you don't want the energy going into the flower.

I've chopped off new growth before now

Just cut it off with a sharp knife.

A sudden warm snap will encourage the plant to flower too!
          Last edited by Nicos; 07-04-2009, 08:35 AM.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I don't think there is any way you would think a rhubarb flowering stem was anything else than a rhubarb flowering stem. They are quite architectural and quite distinctive.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks folks. Two_Sheds, I only planted it last year and there is no way it has been thirsty - nature has been watering our garden only too well it is also nowhere near ready for splitting. I put loads of blended farm manure in the planting hole and mulched with same. Was about to mulch again when I spotted the oddly-formed stalk. Apparently Glaskin's Perpetual is prone to flowering.

The odd bit seems to have a leaf part way along the stalk and resembles the pic attached by Capsid. I think I will cut it off now as I would rather it made more edible stalks thought the flowers look quite pretty.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

Thanks for posting this one. We've got our first allotment and there's a rhubarb patch and a flower just like the photo by Capsid so I guess it needs cutting off. Going to make some rhubarb and ginger jam with the proceeds.

Comment

Ahaa - Thirsty and hungry (probably starving) - thats why mine keeps bolting

Thanks Twosheds!

Comment

Well, you learn something new every day! I never knew rhubarb could flower

Comment

Mine is also in flower, is it ok just leave the flower heads there?

Comment

Originally posted by chengjing View Post
                        Mine is also in flower, is it ok just leave the flower heads there?
                        No cut the flowers off. You want the plant to make new stalks not flowers and seeds.
                        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Checked mine this morning and even the new plants had flower spikes starting. Mine were definitely not hungry (6" of manure) and there has been no shortage of rain here. Just one of those things that happen.

Ian

Comment

Just chopped mine - it was a flower stalk, hollow. Is there anything else I need to do to make sure it keeps growing well?
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

Ah, this has saved me starting a thread. Never had a flower head before on mine and noticed today that one had formed (quite pretty really). Had the feeling at the back of my head that I was supposed to cut it off but wasn't sure. Will be off down the garden with some secuteurs before work in the morning. Thanks for the info.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X