Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flowering strawberries

Hi, probably a silly question but first year and all that,
    I planted up some strawberry plants in some hanging flower bags around about 2 months ago. they have been in my plastic greenhouse ever since and have shot up, they now have their first flowers so i was wondering if i need to acclimatise them to their final outside conditions now or if i should have done this before now for reference next year, also i am wanting to eventually have a vertical strawberry wall using these bags, do i just cut the runners off and plant them in new bags or do i need to go round this another way!

well by keeping them inside you have probably 'forced' them without being aware of it! you can do this the first year with new straws and it just means keeping them inside for the season and earlier fruit.

If you really want them outside they are pretty hardy but you might set them back a bit if they have been coddled in the greenhouse. In my experience the strawberry is a very hardy thing and actually benefits from a good freeze over the winter.

the runners are a real bonus and only need a bit of encouragement to root i tend to leave them connected to the 'mother' plant for a while but you could try cutting them off and just planting them once they have a leaf and see how it goes.

Comment

I think that strawberry flowers can be killed by only minor frosts, so putting the plants outside may result in no fruit.
      Otherwise, as said, they may be a little slowed-up by the change in conditions outdoors, but strawberries are fairly hardy plants.

Comment

I planted mine in a hanging bag 2 weeks ago and hung them up and they've went mental! Loads of new growth but no flowers yet.

I'd just try and get them used to being a bit colder this week since it going to be nice all week?...
        Serene she stand amid the flowers,
        And only count lifes sunny hours,
        For her dull days do not exist,
        Evermore the optimist

Comment

I would'nt put them out now that they have flowers on. Keep the in for this year. You will probably get earlier fruit.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X