Blackcurrants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackcurrants

I took over a plot at the begining of the year and it had some blackcurrent bushes on it that looked like they had seen better days, I trimed off the dead wood and left them to see how they went, well we had about four leaves on each of the bushes and that was it?????!!!! Any ideas what i should do? Do i cut them hard back? Do i replace them?

They're probably just recouperating [sp] a bit and will spring back into life next year for you. I always see blackberries as being very hard to kill off so I doubt they'll stay down for long
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie View Post
      They're probably just recouperating [sp] a bit and will spring back into life next year for you. I always see blackberries as being very hard to kill off so I doubt they'll stay down for long
      Blackberries are tough but they weren't mentioned
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by lost the plot View Post
        I took over a plot at the begining of the year and it had some blackcurrent bushes on it that looked like they had seen better days, I trimed off the dead wood and left them to see how they went, well we had about four leaves on each of the bushes and that was it?????!!!! Any ideas what i should do? Do i cut them hard back? Do i replace them?
        I'd give them a good feed in the spring and see how they go. you have nothing to loose.

If you give them a prune this year you could always stick the prunings in to see if they root then you can replace them for nothing.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

errrr.... opps
          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I'd leave them & wait & see L.T.P. & maybe next year take a few cuttings like Nick says. I got a small blackcurrant bush this year & pruned it when I got it as instructed & the bush in the ground just looks like it has died but the prunings which I just pushed into a pot of compost took & even had a few blackcurrants on!
            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

check this site out I have found it good for currants:

http://gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_...urrant_variety

Comment

If the bushes are very established with lots of stems you can do either of two things.

Either trim out (right down to the base) one third of the oldest wood which will encourage new growth. Doing this every year will keep them cropping well and encourgage an open shape.

Or you can go for the nuclear option and cut everything down to ground level which will encourage all new vigouous growth but no fruit next year.

I have 16 bushes and do this to 4 every year and dont bother with the first option as its just easier. Aim to replace bushes at the 12-15 year old mark with new ones struck from cuttings taken from the pruned material.

Comment

Thanks for the site ref LJ. Very useful.
                  Bright Blessings
                  Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X