Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus Advice!

Hi All, looking for a little advice!

As some will know we've recently taken on our first allotment, which has stood abandoned for the past 12 months and we have been clearing like mad for the past 2 weeks!

We were told by the neighbours that there was some Asparagus in the plot somewhere, and whilst clearing it we have found it, 3 stems / plants that have now been down for 3 years! It's planted in an 8' by 10' bed, centrally along a groove and spread out about 3' apart, with carpet and black polythene covering the rest of the bed. We have no idea what variety of Asparagus it is, but the previous tennant didnt mind spending money on quality seeds and plants!

Now, as complete novices we know nothing about cultivating Asparagus, but it seems like a large bed for only 3 plants, does it need this much room, or should we consider planting something else along the edges or perhaps some more Asparagus Crowns (been looking in Moles seed catalogue!)

Any and all advice would be most welcome, especially any info on how to look after our Asparagus, its planting density and cropping for the area we have!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Mrs D,

You might find this link useful...

http://tinyurl.com/qkpy7

PP

Comment

PP - can't seem to get anything on that link.

Mrs D -We live quite near to you and also grow asparagus ( about 10 green and 10 purple) and this has been our 2nd year with them. The plants were 3 yrs old this year and we were able to crop from them for the first time. Don't know much about them , but will pass on what I know!
      That is indeed a huge area set aside and I wonder if the plants are the centre piece of a cottage garden effect?( with planting either side)
      I imagine there would be more than 3 plants as 3 ft apart is more than the recommended distance. Ours are about 18" - 2ft apart. You will have to wait and see for that!
      Over the winter you need to keep the bed weed free( indeed all year!)and it will need to be done by hand so as not to damage the crowns. For that reason I suggest you leave a narrow track on either side if the plants for easy acess.
      A sprinkling of crushed rocksalt and growmore will be appreciated too!

In the spring you'll need to ridge up with soil about 9ins high.
      (As you will pick the shoots until midsummer's day, it's a great opportunity to grow a catch crop of lettuce on the mound)

In the autumn once they have died back, they need cutting down to just above soil level ( I have heard to below soil level as the stem can act as a straw, channeling rainwater down to the crown, causing it to rot)

As next year will be your first year with them, I suggest you cut sparingly from each plant to help it build up it's crown. Either cut with a sharp knife 2 ins below the soil or snap off.You may need to support the ferns if you are in a windy spot as excessive swaying may damage the crowns.

You need to be aware that their roots spread will be massive- up to 4 ft spread and 10 ft deep ( see another posting I did in the spring)
      , so I would suggest you don't grow spuds too close to them.

Hope that helps a bit?
      Last edited by Nicos; 01-10-2006, 07:25 AM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Brilliant Nicos!! Thanks very much for the info, its reall appreciated!!!

I hadnt thought of growing something else in with it, I was just going to get some more crowns and fill the bed up a nit, but I may well do that and plant some lettuce or salad in there too! Great ideas!
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

Originally posted by Petuaria Pete View Post
          Mrs D,

You might find this link useful...

http://tinyurl.com/qkpy7

PP
          Hi Petuaria Pete! Thanks for the link, some good info on there, many thanks!
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X