Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing sprouting broccoli

Hi,

My 'Red Arrow' variety of sprouting broccoli is nearly ready for picking & is shaping up for being a good crop! I have read conflicting advice about whether it freezes OK - anyone tried freezing it previously?? Is it worth doing or am I condemned to eating my own body-weight in broccoli for the next month!!

I did with some excess in october last year....aint as good a fresh but still ok...can become a bit watery....try to defrost it on its own (without putting in water).....Maybe blanch it for 30 secs before you freeze.....Its got to better than throwing it away!

I used it alot in stir frys!
    Impossible is not a fact its an opinion...
    Impossible is not a decleration its a dare...
    Impossible is potential......

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

Comment

i have been freezing the leaves of my purple sprouting,they do break up into bit's,but they are ideal for stir fries,soups hot pot,quiches,i have also froze some spears,last year i did the same with broccolie,and the same thing happened,it is never the same as fresh,but do not be disapointed,once frozen,give the bag a bash,use the stalks thats left,by steaming them,along with another veg,and just use the shards of leve that remains as above,nothing waisted,only something good and tasty in the freezer for when not much else around,try it and see.
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Just a thought - could you salt them? I always salt my runner beans and they remain crisp, unlike when they've been frozen.

Comment

Spookiliy enough there is a feature on sprouting broccoli in Aprils' magazine & it mentions freezing. I will give it a go as I dont want to waste it. My dwarf kale is quite abundant at the mo aswell. I guess freezing this will cause it to break up??

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X